Discuss Never used a grinder to cut tiles... in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've read with interest and i'm not convinced, I still dont understand why you'd want to do it, you've got a higher risk of injury with grinder kicking back, chips in your eyes, dust in lungs.

Don't get me wrong Ive got two grinders but unless with were huge format tiles i'd just use a wet cutter

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If we're talking square cut outs in tiles for sockets then of course a grinder but surely if say for example you need to cut a 600x300 L cut round the top of a window and it was at least 500mm long you'd use a wet cutter not take it onto the front doorstep and got at it freehand with an angle grinder.

M

Matt Bott

If we're talking square cut outs in tiles for sockets then of course a grinder but surely if say for example you need to cut a 600x300 L cut round the top of a window and it was at least 500mm long you'd use a wet cutter not take it onto the front doorstep and got at it freehand with an angle grinder.
if you like your wet cutter you should use it, personally i cba to get a wet cutter out find power fill it with water just to cut one line on the doorstep for each side of the window then snap with the manual cutter but if we all did it the same way we would all be robots :)

L

LM

@Bathfix Bob I have too many grinders for me to be bothered to count, there's a reason for that;). I Have also over the years bought 3 Sigma wet saws of each size and a small virtex wet saw for metros etc. I only use the wet saws if I'm absolutely stuck with a bugger of a tile or a crazy cut that couldn't be avoided through setting out. Once you've got the hang of a grinder you'd be leaving your wet saws in the lockup as well. A good blade in a grinder and never force it through the tile and it's the only way to go imo.

Reply to Never used a grinder to cut tiles... in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks