Discuss Need some advice please on this wall material in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dan1234

TF
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Tiles going onto the wall with addy works out at around 30kg m2.

Started scraping off plaster to expose the undercoat. Please can somone tell me by the picture if the undercoat is sand & cement or a bonding coat.

It's a little dusty but once cleaned off by a brush it seems quite dust free to touch. The render is not as soft as thermolite block but not as strong as concrete block.

Advise on how to tell if its
20190510_151609.jpg
cement render or a bonding coat.

Thank you

O

On one

That vent above the door looks to be of a type put in 40-50 yrs ago,which if it matched the age of the render and given its colour,it could be. A very weak and dusty sand and cement/lime mix by the looks of it.

Dan1234

TF
Reaction score
Yes I suppose the place is around that old. The internal walls are made from hollow clay bricks, rendered and skimmed.

With it being sand and cement that's good news. I will give it a few very watery coats of SBR before I tile onto the render.

Thanks again for your help

Reply to Need some advice please on this wall material in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks