Discuss Need help please in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Alan Field

hi Guys,

Please could you help.

I have employed a professional tiler and I'm a little concerned and don't know how to tackle it.
Basically I have had an area of 144sqm of underfloor heating installed and we haven't had the heating on yet. The screed was laid 3 months ago so should of fully cured by now.
When I was receiving quotes from the underfloor heating firms one told me I should be putting an expansion membrane between the tile and the screed if I wasn't turning the heat on before the tiles?? Also he said it would help with the expansion anyway as it was such a big area??
1. Is this correct? 2. What is it called and where can I get it from and the big one 3. Why hasn't the tiler asked me for this??? I don't want to just confront him as I am a tradesman and there is nothing worse when a customer tries to tell a professional how to do his job??

W

WetSaw

What type of screed? How thick? Type of heating? Type of tile?
So many questions!
Any expansion joints in the screed?

H

hmtiling

1 What type of tile?
2 What type of screed?
3 depth of screed?

Heating should have been commissioned. Moisture tested. As above

A

Alan Field

Hi,
1. Porcelain
2. Thermio
3. 50mm

Heating can't be commissioned as waiting on new gas line?

H

hmtiling

If the tiler has sanded off the laitance, tested for moisture, using gypsum adhesive or a barrier primer, incorporated expansion joints and allowing for expansion around the perimeter then you've nothing to worry about.

A

Alan Field

He hasn't started yet. What is the matting/barrier film called? Does the laitance always need to be removed? Sorry for the thick questions, I just need to have the answers when I speak to him.

H

hmtiling

He hasn't started yet. What is the matting/barrier film called? Does the laitance always need to be removed? Sorry for the thick questions, I just need to have the answers when I speak to him.
It's a decoupling membrane and whilst it's a very belt and braces approach to your job it's not imperative Imo. Also, it'll be another £2k ish on top.

A

Alan Field

It's a decoupling membrane and whilst it's a very belt and braces approach to your job it's not imperative Imo. Also, it'll be another £2k ish on top.
Even if the heating hasn't been on? Thank you for your replies

Reply to Need help please in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks