Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Need advise on which backer board works best in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Andy Rhodes

Andy Rhodes Active Member

I've used Hardie backer for a number of years now & even though I've never had any come backs from it ,it's a mess process when cutting, So I know I've mentioned Delta board previously was curious to get anybodies thought on this or another product
    similar please
    Thank you

2. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Delta board is great, what do you want to know ? 10mm for floors for me, as long as the floor is sound and no deflection

3. Waluigi

Waluigi Guest

Andy Rhodes- did I read somewhere that you use Hardiebacker on walls?

I’d go for any XPS board over Hardie. Much easier to cut, transport and fix. I tend to use Orbry Board for all my lightweight Tile backer board needs.

I still use the 6mm HB on floors thought from time to time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andy Rhodes

It's a hall & lounge on floorboards roughly 25m2 was thinking along the lines of nothing less than 10mm, like I mentioned earlier I've used hardiebacker 12mm on both walls & floors with no comebacks

5. Andy Rhodes

sorry Waluigi yes on my son's fireplace fixed it with fixed it with weber set plus with the AD250 mixed into the adhesive , but not been back to see if it's took fingers crossed it has

• Like Like x 1
  6. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

If you're built like Shrek hardibacker should be easy?!
    Personally I use loads of Delta board or kerdi if the budget allows.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Waluigi

Waluigi Guest

Onto brick/block? Mechanical fixings are needed...........

8. Protiler 68

Protiler 68 Professional Tiler

To many technicalities about now lol

9. Andy Rhodes

Impish thanks for that, yes I'm as ugly & as big as him lol, No seriously Hardie backer is heavier & bloody mess to say the less so that why I'm looking for an alternative board yes the price is important but not if the board does its job,Waluigi thanks I will now mechanically fix the hardiebacker to the wall will 100mm screws & washers thanks

• Like Like x 1
  10. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Deltaboard is nice to use

11. wrighty

wrighty Professional Tiler

If it was a straight forward overboard(no ufh) it would still be Hardie 250 for me.
    If it was UFH on top of an overboard, 10mm Marmox or Wedi

12. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

I like the jackoboard . I found delta a bit flexible when I used them

• Like Like x 1
  13. wrighty

wrighty Professional Tiler

I thought the covering on the Jackoboard was thinner and not as substantial as others?

14. Tile Fix Direct

Tile Fix Direct Julian at TileFix Direct TF Official Sponsor

15. Ttt1601

Ttt1601 Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

For me it's nmp on floors, xps on walls, as general rule, even with the extra labour of adding more timbers to give 300mm centers the ease of xps makes it worth it,