Discuss Need advice caulking a bathtub when the gap is BIG between wall tiles & tub. Thanks. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Off
IMG_20171120_171940.png

(Just to continue the chocolate theme)...:)

P

phil2b

Here is the email I sent to [email protected]:

Hi:
I am very new to this forum. How do I report ludicrous, inane, stupid, childish replies to my question about re-tiling a bathtub wall?
The ludicrous, inane, stupid, childish replies started with pdc & continued with callatiler, neilrj and Andy Allen.
Thanks...........................phil2b

P

phil2b

I would use a pvc quadrant
Hi Adey:
Hello:
I think that first the gap must be sealed, possibly with grout and/or silicone caulk. I am working on that. The next step might be some kind of pvc trim tiles. Thanks for your help.

P

phil2b

Ir go to double glazing place and by a length of 19 mm plastic quadrant
Hello:
I think that first the gap must be sealed, possibly with grout and/or silicone caulk. I am working on that. I am in the US & the quadrant tiles are more available in the UK than the US. But maybe I can find something similar.

D

Dumbo

Hello:
I think that first the gap must be sealed, possibly with grout and/or silicone caulk. I am working on that. I am in the US & the quadrant tiles are more available in the UK than the US. But maybe I can find something similar.
I didn't recommed quadrant tiles . I don't like them .

P

phil2b

That bath definitely looks as tho it has moved down, the problem is that you don’t know if it’s still moving down or has it stopped. Is it the bath legs or is the floor under the bath giving way. You need to take bath panel off and see why this is happening or you could be visiting your neighbor or basement the quick way. No amount of silicone or quadrants will permanently fix this and IMO those tiles look past their sell by date and all need renewed anyway. So in short fix the bath and floor first then get some new tiles on :thumbsup:
Hi: Thanks for your answer.
I doubt the bath has moved down. The gaps between the tub & walls have been that way for decades. About 30 years ago or more, workers took the lazy way out & filled the gaps with grout & silicone. The real problem is that the building is old & the walls have warped. There are not many level "90 degree right angles" between one wall & the next. A right angle might be a US term that folks in the UK are not familiar with. If I had the money, I would get a contractor to put in new walls. I can't do that by myself.

W

WetSaw

Here is the email I sent to [email protected]:

Hi:
I am very new to this forum. How do I report ludicrous, inane, stupid, childish replies to my question about re-tiling a bathtub wall?
The ludicrous, inane, stupid, childish replies started with pdc & continued with callatiler, neilrj and Andy Allen.
Thanks...........................phil2b

I've put myself on the naughty step, given myself a slap on the hand and said 5 hail Marys. I hope those other nasty people will follow my lead.

P

phil2b

I didn't recommed quadrant tiles . I don't like them .
I plunged ahead. I installed some longer tiles to cover the gap. Then I added a small amount of grout, but mostly silicone to seal the tub. I am fine with grout. But it was my 1st time using silicone caulk. God, what a mess that can make. I might add some kind of trim tile to cover the caulk.

Reply to Need advice caulking a bathtub when the gap is BIG between wall tiles & tub. Thanks. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks