Discuss Natural stone on wooden floor with electric UFH in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm 6 months in being a tiler, I've done lots all my life and sold the dam things for 10 years so I'm after a little advice on a upcoming job please.

10 Sqm of natural stone (they have not chose which stone yet) on a upstair wooden floor and they want electric under floor heating too. The flor is chipboard and pretty solid in most places, theres a couple of bits that moves etc a couple of small holes from old pipe work and a place where a chunk has splintered off.

I was thinking firstly, 6mm hardibacker, stuck and screwed and then the cable laid on top of that.....

1. Should I level over the wire, as I have tiled directly over it before but that was on an insulation board and only 2 Sqm so it was easy going?
2. Should I use a decoupling membrane like Durabase as well as the Hardibacker?
3. Is all Stone ok for this situation, my instincts tell me to avoid travertine like the plague and probably marble too?
4. Any other advice please?

Thanks in advance guys

H

hmtiling

firstly deflection(bounce) needs to be addressed. If that means lifting floor and reinforcing so be it. If floor is solid then insulation(marmox etc) ,ufh, latex, decoupler then tile

U

Unused Account 1

I just did a job with ditra matting ,with the ufh wires fit in the matting ,you can self level over just to cover the wires

Reaction score
Hi guys, the customer has just changed their minds and do not want stone now, they are going for porcelain tiles instead, will I still need the crack mat underneath or will hardibacker or insulation boards be enough, the floor is pretty solid to be honest and when I said there are a couple of bits that move I meant there are a couipld of loose boards that just need screwind down but theres not a lot of bounce at all?

Reply to Natural stone on wooden floor with electric UFH in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks