Discuss my wetroom in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
ok...so I have at last made a start and am currently planning the frame and base for the new wet room. I could do with a little advice though. All of the info I have read say plywood for the base. I have loads of 22mm OSB in my shed so was thinking I might be able to use this.

No worries if not I will have to buy some ply as not going to spoil it for the sake of £20 for a sheet of ply.

Your thoughts appreciated. Definitely Ply or will OSB do the job

Q

Qwerty

No no to OSB I'm afraid Alan. If exposed to moisture it will swell and cause mega issues. In the USA it is acceptable practice and I have been guilty in the distant past of fixing to it but as you say, it doesn't cost a huge amount and best done right from the start.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
ok. No worries. sheet of marine ply to be ordered then... I agree needs to be done right from the start. Certainly don't want to have to do it a second time...especially for the sake of £20. have to use the OSB on something else. Maybe Ill board out the loft

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
£20 for marine ply! Can I have some too? :D

Ive estimated the price but I reckon itll be about £22 plus the VAT 8x4 sheets of 18mm marine ply from my supplier.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I do know for some reason the 22mm jumps hugely in price... I think that was about £45 a sheet... I think its cos 22mm is classed as structural ply

J

J Sid

dam good price if it is
wp_ss_20161025_0003.png

O

One Day

I get good quality far eastern Marine ply for 28 a sheet at local timber merchant. And they cut it for free too!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
nice to know Im buying well... mind you ive spent nearly £30k with my timber merchant in the last 18 months so I would expect good prices... I have no idea where they source their timber but where Ive needed C16 they have always supplied C24, their fence panels are really cheap but use 18mm feather edged board as opposed to 10mm which is standard for the likes of wickes etc... all in all they are a pretty god supplier

Reply to my wetroom in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks