Discuss My shower-room is rotting away. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DavidJ

The previous owner did a fantastic job of tiling the shower room. It lasted about a year before the grout started to crack and eventually a couple of tiles came off. B&Q cheap white tiles bonded directly to plaster board. No backing board or tanking.

I wasn't in a position to do anything with it then so I raked out the broken grout and stuck the tiles back on to keep it usable. Probably not a good decision but it lasted a bit longer this time.

Now I want to do it properly. I also want to replace the shower with a shower/bath and replace the wall and floor tiles. Unfortunately the cheap tiles go all the way around and from what I've read on this forum it will be easier to replace all the plasterboard to get a smooth service.

2 of the walls are exterior but the house is brick skin over timber frame so they I believe they will be some sort of plasterboard, perhaps with an insulation and/or moisture barrier behind the board, I'm not sure. If I remove this board will it be ok to just replace with one of the water resistant backer boards or will I need something between board and outer insulation?
(Incidentally, of the two walls of the corner shower, the tiles have only come away from the interior wall. The exterior wall substrate seems superior)

I will be fitting the new bath into the same corner as the shower is in now so I can use the current shower (digital shower fed from the ceiling). Do I just use backer board on the two walls adjacent to the bath or shall I do the entire room to cope with moisture? It is only about 2mx2m square. Do I board the floor? (again I'll probably damage the current floor pulling up the tiles.

Finally, how difficult are these boards to work with and put up so everything is nice and even?

R

Rookery

As you have found out, good preparation is everything. I would take it all back to brick/block/stud and fix new plasterboard with either dry wall adhesive or screw into studs. You could use backer board but tanked plasterboard is just as good. Use a 2 metre spirit level & straight edge to ensure your boards are plumb and level. tank the wet areas and then tile away. Yes, re-board the floor too, 6mm Hardie.

Reply to My shower-room is rotting away. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks