Discuss Mosaic feature question in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Rived36

TF
Reaction score
hi,
Im about to install a mosaic center feature up the middle of a 900 shower enclosure,
Its 300mm wide foor to ceiling,
There is a 10mm square chrome trim up either side but the mosaic sheets are only 6mm
Whats the best way to make up the 4mm needed ?
Was told to try 3mm ply but was a little apprehensive with it being inside the main wet zone,
Thanks in advance guys

W

Waluigi

There are a few ways to do this; either create a trowel out of a piece of ply which creates the perfect adhesive bed thickness for your mosaics or an often easier way would be to use the mosaic mesh and stick it to the wall and skim it with rapidflex and then trowel it with your serrated trowel once it’s dry.

The trowel method is a bit difficult for me to explain but if you imagine a piece of ply like this :-

__|””””””””””|__

Which is scraped across your chrome trim to create the correct depth of adhesive bed for your mosaics.

It take a small amount of time to measure the trowel size you need to make.

I have also glued mosaics to Kerdi matting and left overnight before fixing.

You only have a 4mm difference though so not much really to make up. I’d probably use the mosaic Matt method in this instance.

O

Old Mod

Piece of Ditra matting up the middle. Fixed is approx 4mm thick.
You can buy Ditra by the metre in most decent stockists.
Or Durabase from Topps. Same difference.

If mosaic are small, skim over matting day before and let it set. Use white adhesive on top if they’re glass.
Next day you’ll have a nice flat surface to fix your mosaic to.
Do not use ply or any other type of timber based product. Esp mdf.

Q

Qwerty

Dog tooth method and a strip of ditra are both good methods. Ditra is easier IMO.

F

Flintstone

I never do the dog tooth method I think it’s prone to having wobbly mosaics if your doing it in one go. Ditra is a good idea

W

Waluigi

CB467CAB-4527-4165-B8DA-608F6F824708.jpeg

W

Waluigi

I never do the dog tooth method I think it’s prone to having wobbly mosaics if your doing it in one go. Ditra is a good idea

I agree, the mosaics can buckle and bow from their own weight if the adhesive bed it too thick especially when installing on a vertical border. Best suited for horizontal borders IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Flintstone

There’s a lot of ‘high end’ actually middle of the road bathrooms shops still slapping a band in every bathroom

Reply to Mosaic feature question in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks