Discuss Mirrored glass metro levelled tiles, cutting and fixing?? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,

Got a job next week doing kitchen splashback in the above tiles.

Firstly, what adhesive do you recommend. I use tilemaster adhesive for pretty much everything as that's what's stocked at my provider, so if you could recommend one of their adhesives that would be great. Or is it something totally different required?

Secondly, how would you go about cutting them? There are 4 or so sockets to go around so will need some L shapes as well as straight cuts. altho they will be hidden by the socket themselves.

Finally, the customer doesn't want a grout line.... recipe for disaster? I've checked a few of the tiles for "sizeyness" but still concerned about movement from change in temperature... thoughts?

Thanks!

H

hmtiling

Use an s2. Tilemaster do ultimate but it's very un-userfriendly. Isomat Ak25 would be a better choice.
For straight cuts a ts 40 or similar with do. For cutting round sockets a montolit cpv blade. Pro tiler tools have them.
They need a joint regardless of sizeyness

Reaction score
I've got tyrolit (I think that's how you spell it) in my grinder and got a briccolina wet cutter ... also got siri pro snap cutter - that should do shouldn't it? When scoring and snapping which side should you do? Cos isn't the green backing like a mirror sticker and the glass bit is actually just see through?

H

hmtiling

I've got tyrolit (I think that's how you spell it) in my grinder and got a briccolina wet cutter ... also got siri pro snap cutter - that should do shouldn't it? When scoring and snapping which side should you do? Cos isn't the green backing like a mirror sticker and the glass bit is actually just see through?
Your siri should be fine, I doubt your grinder blade will leave clean cuts though. Get a cpv for your briccolina

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just done one today.
Score and snap easy , wet saw cut no problem , only problem was , had to slurry coat the backs first (fired earth) instructions

H

hmtiling

Just done one today.
Score and snap easy , wet saw cut no problem , only problem was , had to slurry coat the backs first (fired earth) instructions
Slurry coat with rapid and sbr or mechanical grip primer?
Original style say s2, and it definitely sticks to them

O

Old Mod

Slurry coat with rapid and sbr or mechanical grip primer?
Original style say s2, and it definitely sticks to them
Original style must have changed their spec then Harry, it used to be Keraquick and Laytex plus only, on decorative glass tiles, it’s the only thing they’d guarantee for the vinyl backed tiles.
Whilst an S2 would probably be ok, I’d probably go a bit further with a bottle and bag adhesive.

O

Old Mod

What I’ve done in the past is mimicked the scribe cut with a Stanley blade cut on the decorative backing. This way you get a clean crisp cut on the back too, without the backing fraying.
You will have to have a joint, you can not butt them together, glass has a very high heat coefficient and they will expand and contract at the slightest change in temperature.
It will cause nothing but tears if you butt joint them.

H

hmtiling

Original style must have changed their spec then Harry, it used to be Keraquick and Laytex plus only, on decorative glass tiles, it’s the only thing they’d guarantee for the vinyl backed tiles.
Whilst an S2 would probably be ok, I’d probably go a bit further with a bottle and bag adhesive.
Think you're right with them speccing Mapei 2 part but I'd be happy with an s2

Reply to Mirrored glass metro levelled tiles, cutting and fixing?? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks