Discuss Minerva on Marmox Boards in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

king erne

Hi.
I am about to purchase some Carrara white Minerva wet wall panels to line a shower area. Currently it is a stud wall with no boards so I am planning on fitting Marmox boards to the stud work. The wet wall panels are only 6mm thick and being a light (white marble) colour could surfer with a bit of transparency. The backing boards being dark grey could dull down the overall whiteness of the marble effect. I would like to apply a white finish to the marmox board to stop any potential dulling issues.
Would a slurry coat of SBR and a cement based white tile adhesive be suitable? Alternatively any other recommendation?
Recommended method for fixing the Minerva panels is with dabs of low modulus silicone adhesive

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would call Sylmar and ask them what they recommend as a suitable backing to fix to and get them to recommend a silicone too.

I don’t think you will see the grey of the backer through the Minerva, if that was the case you would see spotting where the silicone dabs are.

Last time I installed this it was to a quality marine ply, but things have changed in the last 4 years and ply is no longer recommended for use in bathrooms (although this is for tiling on) but for me would still apply in this case.

This stuff is fairly heavy even at 6mm (a 3m x 600mm worktop is just under 100kg)

You also need to apply dabs of hot glue at 500mm centres along with silicone at 150mm centres.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Already spoke to Sylmar and they were not very helpful and suggested coating it with PVA! It was also Sylmar that indicated the potential for the "dulling" on the 6mm boards.

I have purchased the silicone as part of the kit so hopefully the supplier has it correct.

Marine ply was the other option but the Marmox is a bit easier and lighter to work with in the smaller 1250 x 600 size.

The board should be about 34kg once cut to 1.2 x 2.1 so nothing like the equivalent area of tiles.

Any thoughts on the "slurry coat" ?

Reply to Minerva on Marmox Boards in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks