Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Matting advice request in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

S

Sussex

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi

Just after a bit of advice, I have had my bathroom floor tiled and the tiler has used the matting shown in the picture instead of the DITRA mat he had quoted for. Is this just as suitable? The floor is a chipboard floor. Thanks in advance

OP
O

One Day

I don't recognise that at all. Maybe someone else does?
It's certainly not Ditra and can't perform like Ditra.
Almost certainly won't cost the same as Ditra.

OP
S

Sussex

This is it from another angle if it’s any clearer. Also he has grouted all the joints between the wall/floor tiles and all the internal corners around the room instead of the silicon I was expecting. I’ll get in touch with him tomorrow.

1C84EC33-E5AA-4859-9AE7-22DA5F275EDC.jpeg

OP
S

Sussex

Looking around Google, I believe it is the Atrim Decomat. Does anyone have any experience of this? Also I take it the grout will have to be raked out of all the joints where silicon was not used before the silicon is applied?

Thanks

D1A65076-C831-4189-B5B7-13C29788A396.png

Matt V

TF
Reaction score
yes you are correct the grout will need removing from the expansion joints prior to the silicone being applied.

OP
P

Perry

Do you guys use anti-fracture / uncoupling matting direct onto chipbord floors without overboarding? I have on 30mm with 300mm steel joists.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Do you guys use anti-fracture / uncoupling matting direct onto chipbord floors without overboarding? I have on 30mm with 300mm steel joists.

Not me, always use 6mm Hardie backer.

OP
S

Sussex

I believe the matting is stuck to the floor with the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ in the photo below. The floor tiles are called Optiks and came from Topps Tiles.

F75C0DF0-04ED-4787-8E2B-A6FC5C045D6D.png

OP
F

Flintstone

I've seen that mat before, a local tile shop sells is but I can't for the life of me recall the brand. He was singing it's praises no end, but he would. It's no ditra and it's a fraction of the cost. Personally I don't think sticking a mat to a timber floor is a good idea, I always overboard as do most

OP
H

hmtiling

To be fair to the tiler I've heard tile shop staff refer to any decoupling membrane as ditra and he might just be misinformed rather than trying it on.
Also, depending on the level of discount you get at trimline you could pay more than ditra for it.

Reply to Matting advice request in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock