Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Marmox Showerlay 360 in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

jwn

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, has anyone got any experience with the Marmox Showerlay 360? I have just fitted one and laid the tiles but the tiles don't sit flush with the chrome frame, they sit a couple of mm under it which is obviously no good.

I have just seen a video demonstrating it and it seems to show the screwframe flush with former but on mine its protruding and not flush so this seems to be the cause.

I didn't think anything of it until I started putting tiles down :mad:

I'm thinking I might have to take tiles up and hopefully do it without damaging the former. Would banyone think its possible to make up the gap with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/? But then I lose some of the fall of the former, but still might work ok?
Other option is if the former was not made correctly then take the whole thing out which would be a nightmare as its all tanked to marmox wall board.

Appreciate any opinions. I hope all this made sense!

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Waluigi

Linear or standard?

The linear is Packed up with spacers to suit the tiles and the standard grate is twisted up and down to suit the tiles. This is done before tile takes place. Not after.

OP
J

jwn

TF
Reaction score
I'll try and get some pictures. Its a standard tray and the chrome frame was screwed in as far as it would go when I was setting out the tiles. At the time I think I just assumed it would come up to the right level with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.
Thanks

OP
J

jwn

TF
Reaction score
The chrome frame was screwed down as far as it would go, so its nothing to do with the height adjustment. They were thick tiles so should clear it perfectly, I even used a 6mm trowel. I will ring marmox and see what they say.

B

Bill

How thick are the tiles? (exactly)

A lot of these drain structures have 2 fittings, one an extension so that it can incorporate thicker tiles, did you use that too?

And lastly, if the drain plate is indeed at its lowest point, then the tiler should have 'rendered' the tray to create the correct height for the tiles.

Q

Qwerty

The showerlay former drain collar does indeed have a thin (regular) and a thick (large) collar for thicker tiles. It could well be what has happened here as @Tom Astley says.

@jwn - What thickness were your tiles please? Also a 6mm trowel will result in around a 1mm bed depth of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ depending on the profile of the back of the tiles.

@Tile Fix Direct @Tile Fix Direct Marketing are Marmox stockists and may be able to shed some light on the issue.

W

Waluigi

The problem here might well just be the thickness of the tiles. Even with the grate surround touching the base of the wet room former, the tiles need to be a certain thickness to be level/slightly above the grate surround. As already mentioned, if the tiles are too thin and/or the bed of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ is too thin then the tiles will be too low

OP
J

jwn

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The tiles are 5mm. Not sure about the collar, the tray seemed made up one way with no alteration, also no mention of the collar on the instructions. :confused:

W

WetSaw

20190324_113929.jpg

OP
J

jwn

TF
Reaction score
That doesn't seem applicable here though? I had the chrome frame twisted right down. So with the frame screwed right down its still not low enough for 5mm tiles? Isn't that a common thickness for these types of tiles?

W

WetSaw

The guide says it goes from 3 - 25mm. drainspec-s.jpg

Unfortunately the clearance is something that should have been checked before you started tile.

OP
J

jwn

TF
Reaction score
So if its screwed right down its 3mm but a 5mm tile cant reach the top of the frame, doesn't make any sense. To be honest I wouldn't have continued to put the tiles down after realising but the shower had to be put into use. The showerlay seems to have a really good fall so I guess ill have to just take up some tiles and render it.

Reply to Marmox Showerlay 360 in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock