Discuss Mapei Stains (again!) On Anti Slip Tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

TheNamek

Good old Ultracolour Plus in grey has stained white flecked antislip glazed porcelains (quite a rough but non porous surface). I've already spent three hours, six Spontex pads, two nailbrushes, and even my electric toothbrush, assorted household and automotive stain removing agents, umpteen buckets of water, scrubbing the bejeebus out of them with only moderate success.

full

Will LTP Grimex likely shift this? And would I be prudent in applying some sort of seal afterward? Tiles are R10 with quite a lot of tiny bumps in relief so imagine would still retain good anti slip properties even with a seal. Any other advice welcome. Man, does my back ache!! o_O

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
If you have the grimex on the van test one tile , this may break the polymer bind down possibly, if required an acidic based product may be required as the boys suggest deterdek is a good product( cough cough!!)
Other cement residue removers avalible!lol! Try stiff brushes as well as pads for cleaning.
If you use the acidic pre wet your joints prior to the cleaner being applied.

O

Old Mod

If you have the grimex on the van test one tile , this may break the polymer bind down possibly, if required an acidic based product may be required as the boys suggest deterdek is a good product( cough cough!!)
Other cement residue removers avalible!lol! Try stiff brushes as well as pads for cleaning.
If you use the acidic pre wet your joints prior to the cleaner being applied.
What can I say Bob, client provided it for me from European Heritage. I can guarantee though, your seal is the only one I buy.
MSN-Emoticon-thums-up-059.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheNamek

Well, I went to TG to pick up some Grimex. It was a choice between that or Deterdek (Tile Giant or Builder's Depot), as the two places are in different directions. Fortunately, TG had LTP Grout Stain Remover as well - comparable product to Deterdek I imagine - so I bought that too just in case Grimex didn't work.

I read the Grimex instructions (rare thing that :D) and didn't even bother with the weakest dilution. Tried the 3:1 on a single tile. Scrubbed, waited, scrubbed, waited, scrubbed, repeated for half hour then gave up and moved up to full concentration. Scrubbed, waited, repeated for another half hour. Squat diddly. And does that stuff stink!

By this point, I was livid! Washed it off and went for the acid based cleaner. I didn't bother with dilutions as I was so mad, hot, and just bleedin miffed! Used it neat. Reminded me immediately of brick cleaner. A quick scrub and rinsed off in a minute or less. Stains were completely gone. Boom! Another half hour later, all tiles blinging again. Another hour and countless buckets of water later to thoroughly rinse off the cleanser the floor was as it should have been 24hrs earlier! As 3_fall suggests, a Vax would have been useful and would have dramatically reduced the wash down time.

In hindsight, a medium dilution of the acid cleanser probably would have been sufficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Well, I went to TG to pick up some Grimex. It was a choice between that or Deterdek (Tile Giant or Builder's Depot), as the two places are in different directions. Fortunately, TG had LTP Grout Stain Remover - comparable product to Deterdek I imagine.

I read the Grimex instructions (rare thing that :D) and didn't even bother with the weakest dilution. Tried the 3:1 on a single tike. Scrubbed, waited, scrubbed, waited, scrubbed, repeated for half hour then gave up and moved up to full concentration. Scrubbed, waited, repeated for another half hour. Squat diddly. And does that stuff stink! By this point, I was livid! Washed it off and went for the acid based cleaner. I didn't bother with dilutions as I was so mad, hot, and just bleedin miffed! Used it neat. Reminded me immediately of brick cleaner. A quick scrub and rinsed off in a minute or less. Stains were completely gone. Boom! Another half hour later, all tiles blinging again. Another hour and countless buckets of water later to thoroughly rinse off the cleanser the floor was as it should have been 24hrs earlier! As 3_fall suggests, a Vax would have been useful and would have dramatically reduced the wash down time.
Well done :) got there in the end tho, all that matters.
The reason u really need the vacuum is to remove the dirty residue where it sits, that way you're not spreading it around with continual use of a sponge. So if u just agitate the solution and vacuum it up it doesn't spread the dirty stuff about and saves a load of time!
Glad u got there tho. :)

O

Old Mod

What he said
happy-019.gif

Another floor saved.

You're getting good you lot are.

Believe me I found out a VERY. hard way! Haha
Just didn't have the forum to save my ***!
Had to work it out for myself :(
Wouldn't want my worst enemy to suffer that!
Well ok, maybe my worst enemy, but no one else! Haha
And the most important lesson I learnt was, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! :D

Reply to Mapei Stains (again!) On Anti Slip Tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks