Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Manual tile cutter in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Afternoon All

My vitrex Big Clinker tile cutter is now needing to be replaced, nbefore I o ahead and purchase a new one, was wondering what your thoughts are on the different makes.

I have seen the Husqvarna series that looks good for the price for large format tiles, and was then looking for maybe a montolit for the smaller ceramics.

Cheers
Mark

OP
R

ross lewiss

just reading some reviews on what cutter to get and rubi seem popular but how do you cope when you cannot cut corner to corner on a thick piece pf porcelain. would you need another cutter? hope i have made sense?
thanks, ross

OP
D

Daz

Hi Ross,

I use a Rubi TR600-S for straight cuts. The only thing I have struggled to get a good straight cut on is fully vitrified tiles, only my wet cutter will go through those suckers.

For internal corners or shapes I use a combination of wet cutter and nippers (ceramic only for nippers).

Hope this helps,
Regards

OP
R

ross lewiss

so if i buy a ts70 plus and i need to cut a piece of tile that the breaker wont cut due to the fixed breaker, then i have to use a wet saw? more expense arrgh
i only want to concentrate on ceramic and porcelain because i cant afford to buy all the equipment for the other kind of tile and i thought a rubi tile cutter would cut any porcelain or so the video clip shows?

OP
H

Holohana

so if i buy a ts70 plus and i need to cut a piece of tile that the breaker wont cut due to the fixed breaker, then i have to use a wet saw? more expense arrgh
i only want to concentrate on ceramic and porcelain because i cant afford to buy all the equipment for the other kind of tile and i thought a rubi tile cutter would cut any porcelain or so the video clip shows?
Then its the Tx or TR range of rubi your after, moveable breaker.

OP
D

Daz

My TR600-S doesn't have a fixed breaker so I can make straight cuts anywhere on a tile. Within reason, as it doesn't play nicely when trying to just take a small amount off! But no dry cutter will allow you to do internal corners or shapes unless you want to score with a dry cutter and then nip the sucker out (horrible if trying to do it with porcelain or vitrified!).

OP
R

ross lewiss

its says you can do curved cuts on the rubi cutters. how do you do that when the rail is straight?

OP
S

sWe

I've tried Rubi cutters, but I didn't really like them. I used Sigmas until fairly recently, when I switched to Montolit, which in my opinion are among the best cutters you can get.

Without really trying, I can cut slivers just a little over 1cm wide, out of 10mm thick 33x33cm (larger than that is rare over here) Porcellanato, which is the densest, hardest grade of porcelain.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R

ross lewiss

thanks swe
i am gonna look at montolit. rubi seem to be really big but theres too much choice??? i realise that i wont be able to get away with just one cutter but montolit and sigma and husqvarna seem to narrow the choice down so it makes it easier for a lamen like me. what 2 montolites would you suggest. when i finish my course i will concentrate on kitchens and bathroom and small floors.
thanks, ross

OP
R

ross lewiss

if one of the guys who use montolit could take a look at the web site mentioned above kwiksplit.co.uk and have a look at their tile cutters and maybe recommend 2 cutters then that would be a great help. i think the 63cm would be the max i would go to/

OP
S

sWe

First you need to decide wether you want a push or a pull cutter. In my experience, pull cutters are faster to work with, but push cutters are easier on the wrist.
My old main cutter was a pull-Sigma, and part of the reason I switched cutter was that it was a bit hard on the wrist. I also wanted something different.
So I went and bought myself a Montolit MasterPiuma 63P2. It covers 90% of my cutting needs. Next time I get a job with lots of small tiles though, I'll get myself a MiniPiuma PB, as the MasterPiuma is a bit bulky and heavy.

OP
R

ross lewiss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yigAjKmquIY

just found this on youtube and it shows the sigma you mentioned, couldnt find one on montolit but loads about rubi. your right, the pull motion looks the most natural although some people on here say they are difficult to get used to. its a minefield for a learner arrrgh

OP
S

sWe

Videos of Montolit's main cutters:

MasterPiuma P2
MasterPiuma T2
MiniPiuma PB
MiniPiuma TB

The pull motion has a more pronounced feeling of control than the push motion imho, but I've used pull cutters for most of the time I've been a tiler, so it's probably just that I'm still more used to pull cutters than I am to push cutters.

The push motion is more ergonomical than the pull motion, as you don't have to twist you wrist.

It's mostly a matter of what you're used to.

OP
R

ross lewiss

thanks very much for the video clips swe, thats made the choice alot easier for me. i was swayed by rubi because most people on here use them but i just like the look of the italian cutters.
many thanks, ross

Reply to Manual tile cutter in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock