Discuss Manchester College Closes Wall and Floor Tiling Department! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

those who can do do .those that cant teach what they dont know to to those that beleive they do

S

SCCB

those who can do do .those that cant teach what they dont know to to those that beleive they do

Is this a dig at teachers of the tiling trade Ray? If so then please enlighten me on your experience of training for the future generation of tilers that have led you to this conclusion.
Carl

R

no problem i started tiling at with my dad and his mates from 14 years of age all school breaks went on to have my own tiling firm employing 20 tilers and there mates working on big projects ie burger king pizza exspess every hotlel chain in the uk you can name doing up to 400 bathroom at a time and doing jobs with over 7000m2 fixing some jobs 1000 m2 in 5 days okay today i train 4 to 8 tilers a week and hold training days for all the new formats coming on to the market and dont charge a penny .my time is all ways open for any tiler that needs help i test produts and pass on my findings free of charge with out prejudist our being bought by any body only pass on the truth .so heres one for you .you have to raise a floor area 320mm about 120 m2
you have three days to do it the exsting floor is old wharhouse used to be a train repair yard 1870 and on the fourth day a 3 ton forklift drives on it . so prove you are fit to teach .and thats an easys one

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Concrete it?

Carl has done well Ray trust me. He's a good tiler and assessor. Knows the job and helps many get into the trade via the college route.

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'll say sorry before i start on this one and this is not aimed at anyone in particular, but years ago i put my son on a citb course at Salford college supposed to be a tiling course, as far as i am concerned the course was a waste of time and money and whilst my son was there the lads were dropping out of the course weekly,and i eventually pulled him of the course, the things he told me had very little use in the tiling trade ,ok if you wanted to know how to put scaffolding up and things like that but not much use in mrs jones bathroom or in her kitchen,i know we cant all get apprenticeships for the young ones but for me im afraid it is the only way to learn the trade that is where any spare money should be putfor me it is the only way forward to get the skills we need

R

Concrete it?

Carl has done well Ray trust me. He's a good tiler and assessor. Knows the job and helps many get into the trade via the college route.
i was asked who i am and what i do i just gave the answers to the questions no more no less .never said he was not a good tiler .just asked how he would teach tilers to do what i asked .a very simple job to do

S

SCCB

no problem i started tiling at with my dad and his mates from 14 years of age all school breaks went on to have my own tiling firm employing 20 tilers and there mates working on big projects ie burger king pizza exspess every hotlel chain in the uk you can name doing up to 400 bathroom at a time and doing jobs with over 7000m2 fixing some jobs 1000 m2 in 5 days okay today i train 4 to 8 tilers a week and hold training days for all the new formats coming on to the market and dont charge a penny .my time is all ways open for any tiler that needs help i test produts and pass on my findings free of charge with out prejudist our being bought by any body only pass on the truth .so heres one for you .you have to raise a floor area 320mm about 120 m2
you have three days to do it the exsting floor is old wharhouse used to be a train repair yard 1870 and on the fourth day a 3 ton forklift drives on it . so prove you are fit to teach .and thats an easys one

OK, not what I expected but, OK. After completing my 2 year apprenticeship in the mid late 90's I worked as a fixer with a couple of companies for 2/3 years fixing on various locations. Many fast food franchises and super markets, hotel chain's, car show rooms, also worked in Spain and a few other popular holiday destinations.
Set up on my own company and had infrequent subcontractors ( 4 sometimes 8 subbies)working on the jobs where is was impossible for me to complete in the specified time. I've been on some very large jobs most of the major airports on some time and some very very large house builds. I came into teaching just after the crash in 2009. My intentions were to wait until I have my teaching qualification (got that now) and the work to pick up then go back on the tools and earn some real money and rejoin the career that had built for myself. And a job that I found that greatest of pleasure doing. It is apparent that the need for credible training center and trainers that have the skills and ability and industry experience to craft new tilers are in short, few and far between.

I would like to think that I have accrued enough industry experience to deliver the qualification that we have and beyond.
I/we have also been asked to give feedback on products from some tile adhesive manufactures and tool companies.

As for your question Ray, (which I think you have asked me this before) I could look this up and ask a few questions give you the answer that you want as I have a good idea on how I could be done. But off the top of my head, if I'm honest, I wouldn't be able to say for sure. And so, I have failed your test. I've never come across this kind of scenario on a job but I know people that have.
If this makes me "not fit to teach" then, well I'm astounded, there isn't many tilers who could answer this question and give a 100% guarantee on it off the top of their head.

Now the question that I actually asked was,have you any experience of training centers being, lets say not up to scratch.. Or centers that have an excellent reputation.

Its taken me two days to reply to this.... people will not leave me alone...... Dam It.

Ps, was you question related the current products and materials or a previous era??

Carl

R

OK, not what I expected but, OK. After completing my 2 year apprenticeship in the mid late 90's I worked as a fixer with a couple of companies for 2/3 years fixing on various locations. Many fast food franchises and super markets, hotel chain's, car show rooms, also worked in Spain and a few other popular holiday destinations.
Set up on my own company and had infrequent subcontractors ( 4 sometimes 8 subbies)working on the jobs where is was impossible for me to complete in the specified time. I've been on some very large jobs most of the major airports on some time and some very very large house builds. I came into teaching just after the crash in 2009. My intentions were to wait until I have my teaching qualification (got that now) and the work to pick up then go back on the tools and earn some real money and rejoin the career that had built for myself. And a job that I found that greatest of pleasure doing. It is apparent that the need for credible training center and trainers that have the skills and ability and industry experience to craft new tilers are in short, few and far between.

I would like to think that I have accrued enough industry experience to deliver the qualification that we have and beyond.
I/we have also been asked to give feedback on products from some tile adhesive manufactures and tool companies.

As for your question Ray, (which I think you have asked me this before) I could look this up and ask a few questions give you the answer that you want as I have a good idea on how I could be done. But off the top of my head, if I'm honest, I wouldn't be able to say for sure. And so, I have failed your test. I've never come across this kind of scenario on a job but I know people that have.
If this makes me "not fit to teach" then, well I'm astounded, there isn't many tilers who could answer this question and give a 100% guarantee on it off the top of their head.

Now the question that I actually asked was,have you any experience of training centers being, lets say not up to scratch.. Or centers that have an excellent reputation.

Its taken me two days to reply to this.... people will not leave me alone...... Dam It.

Ps, was you question related the current products and materials or a previous era??

Carl

ok i have had so called tiler coming into my shop who have paid thousands on these coucres looking for work well they had the paper work but could not tell me why they could not use bucket adhesive on floorr tile ors bigger than 300x 300 i am not saying some wont go on to make good tilers but they would make up less than 5% the rest are dreamers who have spent money on a dream that will turn into a night mare for there clients .your time would be much better spent making a list of tilers that would train someone on site and get paid £200 a week to take them £3000 for intenseve thats thats 15 weeks on the job with real tilers day in day out if they are any good they will be taken on if not they wont make it past week four .on the job is the only way in the real world .no class room in the world can have any hope of passing on real trade now how .on the job will teach you in one week more than any class room can teach you in 6 mouths .stop being happy filling class room dreams with disapointment .and get out on site and offer 15 weeks and they will pay you to learn . your out come will be a lot higher than your 5%

so my method on this floor may span back more the 2000 years but it can still do the job to day far cheaper and quicker than moderen methods
but if you have a mondern method on this i learn every day and welcome that learning .

Last edited by a moderator:
R

ok day one pour 10 ton of concrete bring floor up 200mm day two slurry coat concrete then screed 10 ton with 24 hour retardant 100mm day three tile with 20mm tile and grout .day four afternoon some bloody fool is driving over it with a three ton fork lift .14 years later it still there hard as iron

day one two tilers lay concrete

day two four tilers screed

day three four tiler tile the floor

T

The D

how about when the floor is ready to tile you give me a call. that is how i would do that job LOL

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
ok day one pour 10 ton of concrete bring floor up 200mm day two slurry coat concrete then screed 10 ton with 24 hour retardant 100mm day three tile with 20mm tile and grout .day four afternoon some bloody fool is driving over it with a three ton fork lift .14 years later it still there hard as iron

day one two tilers lay concrete

day two four tilers screed

day three four tiler tile the floor
I said concrete first.

You can get a small truck to pump it in and not need any tilers. The firm does it who brings the truck.

Reply to Manchester College Closes Wall and Floor Tiling Department! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks