Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Makita Cordless Grinder Packed Up. in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Saturday afternoon and only 3 more tiles to cut (900x450 tough porcs). My Makita grinder came to a halt.

I rang the builder to find if anyone was near me, but it was 15:30 and nobody in the area. So I drove the 1hour round trip back home to pick up an old corded one to finish the job.

I started looking for a replacement at a cost of about £100 for the body only, but then googled grinder faults. Came across a typical fault of the brushes needing replacing. So I ordered a £3.59 set of new brushes and they arrived today. Simple swap over and hey presto, a working grinder.

M

mattle40

I think I've killed my lxt combi mixing https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, started out as I was too lazy to go get the mixer out and I've just used it ever since, think the motor is still fine but the chuck is making angry grinding noises now, think it's the length and weight of the whisk but still impressed how it's held up
Glad u got fixed

OP
Sean Kelly

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The motor/gears made a funny noise and then it just died. I changed the battery but that was no good. I could stop the slow spinning blade with my fingers as there was virtually no power to it. That's why I thought it had given up the ghost. 2.5 years of heavy use I thought it was a gonner.

T

The D

18 months use then new brushes every 2 months just had a set go today think i will invest in the brush less one

B

bcd-87

I don't use my grinder that much, i wet cut mostly but you can bet your lunch money brushes go next time i need it... did you enjoy the big porcelain @seankelly

C

Concrete guy

I think I've killed my lxt combi mixing https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, started out as I was too lazy to go get the mixer out and I've just used it ever since, think the motor is still fine but the chuck is making angry grinding noises now, think it's the length and weight of the whisk but still impressed how it's held up
Glad u got fixed

Does it jump out of gear/drive?

If it does you've stripped a Nylon gear ring. It's a common problem on these drills - about £5 to order and 15 minutes to strip down and replace.

I fixed this on the LXT I have.

Google the drill model for a parts diagram.

M

mattle40

Does it jump out of gear/drive?

If it does you've stripped a Nylon gear ring. It's a common problem on these drills - about £5 to order and 15 minutes to strip down and replace.

I fixed this on the LXT I have.

Google the drill model for a parts diagram.

Cheers

Not jumping out no, similar sort of sound I imagine though. It happens more if there is any sideways force on the chuck as its turning so I think it's the extra leverage that's doing it.

OP
Sean Kelly

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I don't use my grinder that much, i wet cut mostly but you can bet your lunch money brushes go next time i need it... did you enjoy the big porcelain @seankelly
25sqm of 900x450 porcs in a kitchen and utility room over ufh & slc. It was a joy to work with. Straight bond too. At the end of the job there was 1 tile spare! Again the customer did the measuring. I used slow set but had to put a couple of heaters in the room to help the Ardex X7w set. Had to work the w/e because kitchen being fitted yesterday.

Reaction score
Saturday afternoon and only 3 more tiles to cut (900x450 tough porcs). My Makita grinder came to a halt.

I rang the builder to find if anyone was near me, but it was 15:30 and nobody in the area. So I drove the 1hour round trip back home to pick up an old corded one to finish the job.

I started looking for a replacement at a cost of about £100 for the body only, but then googled grinder faults. Came across a typical fault of the brushes needing replacing. So I ordered a £3.59 set of new brushes and they arrived today. Simple swap over and hey presto, a working grinder.

Thats a great result! I have an old ni cad dewalt combi drill that is making funny noises so think i might investigate that too! Might save me a fortune - but I would like a new LI drill !

Reply to Makita Cordless Grinder Packed Up. in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock