Discuss Making wet room tray from construction board in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
as the title suggests. I gave 5 wet room trays to do. 3 are 1700 x 800mm and 2 are 2m x 1.8m!
They are all on the first floor and are on solid ( block and beam ) floor. The sections for the trays has been formed and the rooms are screeded. The gaps for the trays are unscreeded with 50mm kingspan. This leaves 60mm of make up.
The customer wants long linear drains, no wet room formers come with anything longer than 600mm. So one option is to fit 1200mm drain formers, screed the floor to falls and when the screed is dry, tank it out with ardex wp. Problem is that it will take weeks to dry.

Second option is to install the same drain, remove the insulation, screed 50mm over the block and beam, then make my own trays from 50mm construction board. This will be installed with flexi adhesive underneath and to the joins. Tape the joints and tank the lot. This can then be tiled a day after the adhesive has set.

Any other ideas?

J

J Sid

just fit drain and screed with required fall, Ditra as tanking if screed is not dry and then tile.

O

One Day

I'd use kerdi-line drains, as long as you like.
Introduce another type of linear drain and you'll need to be red-hot on your bonds to everything else.
Then 50mm kerdi-board (or your chosen other) and tape and waterproof with Keba and Kerdi-coll or Ardex wpc.
Sounds like an easy solution but take my advice and don't let your customer see just how easy! Look at the cost of a pre-formed tray and charge accordingly!

Reaction score
Hi Matt,

The drain lengths can be found at Schlüter®-KERDI-LINE | Products | Schlüter-Systems - http://www.schluter.co.uk/kerdi-line-products.aspx, Impish (thanks Mark) is correct they go to 1800 and we do have pre-formed trays that can be cut to the drain length, and to the shower size and\or shape, see Schlüter®-KERDI-SHOWER-L | Products | Schlüter-Systems - http://www.schluter.co.uk/kerdi-shower-l-products.aspx.

If you need anymore advice or to find your nearest reseller then don't hesitate to call 01530 813396, and Ashley (Internal sales consultant for the area) will be able to help.

Regards

Carl

O

One Day

Hi Carl! I really wish the pre-formed slope boards were available in larger sizes though...

Reaction score
Hi Carl! I really wish the pre-formed slope boards were available in larger sizes though...

It has been considered but in most instances two boards of the same size are combined to meet the required length\size. This works as the trays are sloped in one direction to the drain, so 2 trays side-by-side have the same fall as a single tray.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I did a dog shower room before Christmas and made my own former from jacko board I found online you want about 5 or 6mm of fall per foot to get the right fall

O

One Day

It has been considered but in most instances two boards of the same size are combined to meet the required length\size. This works as the trays are sloped in one direction to the drain, so 2 trays side-by-side have the same fall as a single tray.

Just a shame they only go to 1400mm.
I've made x2 trays this year so far - both over 2m and it's a slow faff trying to carry the slopes past 1400 on a solid bed of adhesive!
Still the safest and best drain / tray combination money can buy in my opinion though, and flexible enough for monkeys like us to use successfully.

O

One Day

I did a dog shower room before Christmas and made my own former from jacko board I found online you want about 5 or 6mm of fall per foot to get the right fall

Careful with the jackoboard. I had some last year and it did this:

Cqp4RgjWYAA1blI.jpg large.jpg

O

Old Mod

Just a shame they only go to 1400mm.
I've made x2 trays this year so far - both over 2m and it's a slow faff trying to carry the slopes past 1400 on a solid bed of adhesive!
Still the safest and best drain / tray combination money can buy in my opinion though, and flexible enough for monkeys like us to use successfully.
Why don't you sit it on another board that brings the leading edge of one to the tail edge of another?
Unless I'm just misunderstanding you.

Reply to Making wet room tray from construction board in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks