Discuss Loose wire system in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Time's Ran Out

Turned up to a wet room that needed preparation done. The cable and sensor were connected to the mains but still on the spool ready to roll out 92 linear metres. Took advice from Impey, laid the water guard membrane and picked up the spool ready to set the cable. That's when the issue surfaced! The plumber/ electrician who supplied the gear and wired it up must have tested it and left it on! Customer remembers switching it off but didn't think about the result. Not only was the sensor sheathing damaged in 5 places, but the whole spool of cable was melted together.
So tomorrow we have to pick up a mat version and pull all the cables back through the walls to the thermostat in another room, and leave it tested for connection by a so called professional electrician. Apart from the fact this ' tradesperson' hadn't even the decency to respond to the customers calls, he didn't even have the foresight to take the fuse out of the spur to avoid an accident.

A

AndY mac

How many times do I arrive at a job when so called sparkys have done the ufh and they always put the cold cable join in wall cavity or drill a hole in the floor and drop it. Shambles.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Stole my thunder Craig, was just about to write exactly the same thing. I'm working on a job now where I've laid TM anti-crack mat and warned anybody who leaves so much as a footprint on it will be shot at dawn. Fed up of cleaning up after everyone else so that I can work!!

TJ, this is not only dangerous but just plain stupid and negligent. To coin a phrase 'Someone could have died'. In this case they could have.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be getting their public liability details and report them to Elecsa or whoever they're with.

T

Time's Ran Out

Ok we're completed on this job now.
So the problem became apparent on Tuesday and it took till Friday for the plumber ( he who connected the cable) to arrive, by which time we had laid a new UFH mat and floor sensor and left them tested but with cold tails - and fully tiled the floor up to the wet tray. He scratched his head and looked genuinely confused. What has happened is - he installed the thermostat and cables and left them off at the fused spur . The customer had another firm of electricians working on this extension+extension and had them replace all the white fitting with chrome. It would seem they replaced the face plate to chrome, and without checking what the fused spur was for left it in the On position. Customer can't remember if he switched the socket off when it was white or chrome - so no one to be held accountable!
Of course the original UFH was 150w / m for a wood floor so replaced with 90w/m and all the thanks we got was - I hope it is warm enough!

Reply to Loose wire system in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks