Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Loose tile over underfloor heating in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Jennifer Robyn

Jennifer Robyn New to TilersForums.co.uk

We have prowarm electric mat laid on concrete base. Ceramic tiles 600x 150 mm laid on top. One tile makes a ‘cracking’ noise when walked on; assume this is a sign it is loose. The grout is still intact.
    Is there any solution that doesn’t involve ripping my hall floor up.

2. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Did you lay the floor yourself?

3. Jennifer Robyn

No, it was laid by professional

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

I would suggest carefully cutting that one tile out and gently break it up to avoid damaging the UFH. If it was a professional, can they not return to rectify?

5. Jennifer Robyn

Unfortunately I doubt they could. We will try to contact them, but need a plan B.

6. Plan Tec Tiling

Carefully rake out as much grout as you can, then cut the tile from corner to corner using an angle grinder, so a 'x' is made in the tile. You need to make sure that you don't cut deeper than the depth of the tile or you could cut the UFH.

Have you considered offering the job to a pro on this forum?

7. Jennifer Robyn

Yes
    Yes, think that’s the best option. I just needed to find out the answer wasn’t ‘ rip the whole floor up’!

8. Plan Tec Tiling

Hopefully it can be avoided!!

9. Dan

Dan TilersForums.co.uk Est.2006 Staff Member NOT a Tiler

How did this job go?

10. Jennifer Robyn

Have n’ t tackled it yet

11. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

As per @Plan Tec Tiling@Plan Tec Tiling - get someone off the forum to look at it - I'am sure there'll be a queue!
    Make sure you've got spare tiles before you start and switch the electric off before you cut into the floor.

• Winner Winner x 1