Discuss Looking for Opinions in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi All.
Just returned from a weekend away in Somereset , whilst there a friend asked if I could pop in and have a look at the Tiling she was having done as she wasn't sure it was up to scratch.
She is a "mature" recently widowed lady that has used a reputable large DIY/ Building supplies Co... ( if I'm correct their motto is "Let's do it right")
They have installed her Kitchen and are currently working on 2 Bathrooms
Just to add ,this company had insisted on using its own Tiler so as to validate any insurances they give.
As soon as I saw the "Wet room" installation and the obvious mistakes I said to her stop them from doing anymore work and insist on an inspection from the Manager to see the issues ...All schoolboy errors.. But serious ....
I gave my own opinions to her...
I post some pictures for yours
Thanks in advance
G.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

T

Tommythetiler80

I love the way the bond had been followed throughout floor and wall i also love the expanding foam that's obviously the waterproof version, the effort made with the tanking is beautiful what we can see and not to mention the use of the lovely plasterboard throughout . They have done well there!! :mad:

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've had to rip out brand new installs by this same company, appalling work. It really grinds my gears they take all money up front or get a payment plan signed and in place then send Mickey mouse trades in to slap the work on and **** off at the lowest bidder price while charging the customer top whack

T

Time's Ran Out

So it's Wickes!
Used to love their - Do it right leaflets - at the door when you went in. I became an expert in all trades by reading them.
How to wire a house.
How to build a gazebo.
How to tile a balcony.
They were memorable.
Obviously this team haven't got copies.

O

Old Mod

Oh the floor is enveloped, had to look at the original image to enlarge it enough.
It's just been done with a slide cutter and butted up!
That'll be watertight then :thumbsup:

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Absolutely Bang on guys... All money up front...
They have tiled straight onto ply.. Not a sight of any SBR let alone matting..
Yep the bond looks sh::te...
Tanking.... What Tanking???
Absolutely appalling .. And these muppets are taking our work..
This install will fail...
The poor lady is being shafted by P----s..( Rymes with Wickes)
I thank you all for your feedback and will be aiding her to get this rectified.

O

Old Mod

Just let them read the thread Gaz, that should do it.
Although it may look like they've tanked the floor. What's that grey paint at skirting level in the 3rd and second to last image?

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just let them read the thread Gaz, that should do it.
Although it may look like they've tanked the floor. What's that grey paint at skirting level in the 3rd and second to last image?
From what You can see the "Tanking only comes up approx 4 " at best .,
Whether he has coated the floor or just the 90 degree angle I can't say ... But I would ( going on what I can see) assume the worse case scenario ..:(
Just too add ... I met the chippy who just happened to pop in and talking with him.. He wasn't enamoured with the way they were prepping...

F

Flintstone

I have seen a lot of instances of people tanking a wet room, and only taping the vertical joint and floor to wall joint, not the rest of the area. I'm sure that is what they have done

O

One Day

I had a call from a B&Q manager a couple of years ago, offering me the fantastic opportunity to work with them. (I think he actually meant to say "be exploited by them")
He went as far as to say that he had looked at my website and liked the look of my work. (thanks:rolleyes:)
They were offering...wait for it.............
11 fine English pounds a square metre. No discussion over prep, waterproofing etc - just a straight £11 a metre.
I believe they charge out at around £45 though.
To be fair; it looks like £11 a metre's worth.

F

Flintstone

It's hard isn't it as people who genuinely don't know anyone in the trade or have any recommendations and don't know anything about the job they are having done, they assume a big company like b and w will do the right job and be trusted.

Reply to Looking for Opinions in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks