Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Long Grinder Cuts? in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

D

Drifterjoe

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys,

Is there a technique other than a steady hand to getting straight long cuts using a grinder. Also mitres I've seen a set up of a 45deg angle block and cut freehand but only on small cuts.

Trying to make a decision on whether to upgrade to a cordless grinder and batteries or to spend some money on a decent wet cutter? It would be nice to do away with the extention cables and wet mess.

Cheers

OP
F

Flintstone

For me just a steady hand! Make a good clear mark you can see and get your stall set up so you can cut the first go in one pass and not have to stop to adjust yourself

OP
O

One Day

I clamp an old straight edge to the tile and LIGHTLY make a first cut against that.
Just enough to get through the glaze.
Now remove the straight edge and use a steady hand and maybe 3 or 4 passes, going in just past the first cut.
This helps avoid chipping the glaze.
A Makita brushless grinder and a Marcrist akkumax blade make for very smooth cuts.

OP
O

Old Mod

If you want to go down the machine route,
Montolit, Raimondi, Festool, all make systems that use grinders on a rail.
Long cuts freehand are much easier carried out if you pull the grinder through.
As long as your work piece is clamped to your cutting table you'll be able to have much more control as opposed to pushing it through, which is the most common way of doing it.
To do this all you need to do is flip the grinder over so that the cutting wheel is on your right side.
You'll also have to spin the guard around 180 degrees.
Cutting this way has an extra couple of advantages.
Sighting your line is easier, dust and debris is pushed away from you instead of towards you.
This is the way most full time natural stone fixers cut.

Reply to Long Grinder Cuts? in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock