Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Little support please in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. OM96

OM96 New to TilersForums.co.uk

Hi guys,
    Planning on tiling the bathroom in the next couple of weeks. Will be using these tiles Oscano Graphite Stone Effect Ceramic Wall & Floor Tile, Pack of 6, (L)498mm (W)298mm | Departments | DIY at B&Q - https://www.diy.com/departments/oscano-graphite-stone-effect-ceramic-wall-floor-tile-pack-of-6-l-498mm-w-298mm/826538_BQ.prd?B/R_Tiling_Type_Wall_LHN

Have read a few threads and just want a little guidance before I start. Am I right in thinking that I want an S1 or S2 adhesive? (Tiling on primed plaster)
    Also, I have read quite a few of you guys talk about Mapei products...would you suggest this is the better brand?
    Finally, I want a grey grout finish. Does that mean I need to buy a coloured adhesive too?

Cheers guys

2. Tom Astley

Tom Astley Professional Tiler

My advice is to choose a better quality tile for the floor.

3. OM96

OM96 New to TilersForums.co.uk

Thanks but that isn't helpful. I like them

4. Tommcd

Tommcd Active Member

S1 or S2, either is fine. Make sure you get a standard set (as opposed to rapid set) if it's your first job else you'll be going through no end of buckets!

5. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

I would probably be reluctant to fit those tiles to a bathroom floor.

6. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

If you came on this forum for advice then listen to the views of professional tile fixers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tommcd

Tommcd Active Member

He maybe needs to be told what the issue is with the tiles he has chosen so he can make a more informed choice. They seem to be a cheap tile with lots of positive reviews.

8. Tilergal

Tilergal Active Member

I'm sorry OM96 but I agree with the other members. These tiles look fine for walls (although personally I detest the quality of all tiles made for B and Q) but I doubt they're robust enough for foot traffic, even in a bathroom. If you're going to the trouble and expense of tiling a floor why not spend a little extra and get a better quality product that will last for many years?
    If these tiles start to chip at the edges or crack across you're going to have a hell of a job getting them up to replace and will probably end up having to redo the whole floor. The colour and effect you prefer is easily available in a better quality tile.

9. Filip

Filip Active Member

I would defiantly agree with getting normal set adhesive, I did my bathroom walls a couple of years ago and used twice as much adhesive because I couldn't put them on the walls quick enough before it suddenly went off in the bucket. Then not to mention all the extra time cleaning everything that had set adhesive on it.
    As a DIYer myself I find forums like this very helpful, I can find out about the best tools, adhesive, grout, but unless I have missed it there is no info about how to buy and what is a good quality tile.

10. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Actually, you made a really good point there.
    We're quick to dismiss poor tiles but maybe a guide is needed...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1