Discuss Advice on porcelain tile movement. Grout coming out of tiles. in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Spare Tool

Your last 'tiler' has changed adhesive from white to grey..probably ran out half way though using all those dabs..
The hardi boards need a bed of tile adhesive under them before screwing down staggered and all joints taped and skimmed with adhesive.. Doesn't sound like you have much confidence in your new tiler either..?

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As above.

If your not confident in what’s being carried out just pop some photos of progress on here and we can advise.

Reaction score
Your last 'tiler' has changed adhesive from white to grey..probably ran out half way though using all those dabs..
The hardi boards need a bed of tile adhesive under them before screwing down staggered and all joints taped and skimmed with adhesive.. Doesn't sound like you have much confidence in your new tiler either..?

I have lost confidence in the full job to be honest. This work was started in June and was told 2 weeks which ended up over 2 months. Grout started coming away and then tiles started popping and we’ve been on at him for around 8 weeks to get it resolved he sent original tiler out to regrout and was advised to live with a wee bit of movement if I could. Wasn’t happy with that answer and new grout done the exact same thing. We paid one guy which was the joiner who was project managing the full thing so because it is down to him to rectify these issues I’m worried about corners being cut to save costs. If I attatch pictures of the boards that have been put in place today would that help at all? Thanks so much again for your help.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have lost confidence in the full job to be honest. This work was started in June and was told 2 weeks which ended up over 2 months. Grout started coming away and then tiles started popping and we’ve been on at him for around 8 weeks to get it resolved he sent original tiler out to regrout and was advised to live with a wee bit of movement if I could. Wasn’t happy with that answer and new grout done the exact same thing. We paid one guy which was the joiner who was project managing the full thing so because it is down to him to rectify these issues I’m worried about corners being cut to save costs. If I attatch pictures of the boards that have been put in place today would that help at all? Thanks so much again for your help.

It would.

Is this a new tiler undertaking the repair.

Reaction score
7F6B7903-9CA9-4D18-A3B5-E804DF3CFA01.jpeg
61ED36AA-6B93-44EC-9C10-8EA11DCDC9F9.jpeg 1878EE20-6D43-42D5-9972-FC9D9C659E37.jpeg D9A1B567-184F-40DF-94DB-B1A5CB853A16.jpeg DF1B1C33-9BCE-4B0C-A8D2-42BC684DA9F3.jpeg A900F950-ACB5-4BE6-ACAC-DF28DA5396BD.jpeg 4BE0ECEC-5E96-4190-A959-A177C525735C.jpeg 8DA5576D-E950-4606-A865-3AA005E5E864.jpeg 67BAD15D-32E3-4286-BF60-27F160D5FABB.jpeg

Reaction score
It would.

Is this a new tiler undertaking the repair.

Hope the pictures help if they need to be different angle etc then please let me know. Yes new tiler has agreed to take on the job under the conditions that he wasn’t repairing loose tiles but lifting them all and replacing them and also putting these boards down as the base. As originally joiner asked him to pump silicone and try and secure the loose ones which he wasn’t willing to do.

S

Spare Tool

Well its not Hardi board for a start, think its no more ply, and all joints should be stuck with their tube adhesive.. :(

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I don’t like the look of that.

Are they boarding over all the old adhesive and ply?

Reaction score
Well its not Hardi board for a start, think its no more ply, and all joints should be stuck with their tube adhesive.. :(

So I’ve been lied to again I’m guessing these boards are not going to be sufficient when I have movement in my actual floor? As this was the reason I was told I was to have hardiebacker boards so it would be a stable secure base to avoid the movement causing the same problems. Nobody is back until Monday so I can ask about the tube adhesive and watch what they do next and take pictures to post to see if what they’re telling me ties in with what you see in the photos?

Reaction score
I don’t like the look of that.

Are they boarding over all the old adhesive and ply?

Yes they have boarded over what was on the floor as far as i was able to see. So the ply is definitely still buried under there aswell as the disconnected underfloor heating i imagine as they would have had to have dug that out otherwise and there’s no mess or rubbish to suggest that has happened.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would insist that the first attempt is completely removed and started again from the floorboards.
There is nothing wrong with no more ply, so don’t worry about that part.
It must be installed as the instructions.

W

Waluigi

the last photo looks like he has overboarded the dots of adhesive.

It’s all getting a bit confusing as to how many layers you have. Whatever happens, you can’t just screw a bit of board onto dots of adhesive and hope for the best. Shortsighted thinking. There is no quick fix to this. No magic board. Just logic and manufacturers instructions.

Reply to Advice on porcelain tile movement. Grout coming out of tiles. in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks