• Thread starter kaharrison9
  • Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 22K
  • usa

Discuss linaseed oil?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

kaharrison9

Hi all.
Would appreciate your thoughts.
I've been asked to try and improve a honed slate floor that was done by another tiler.I've to rake out the grout,seal then re-grout.i was planning to use Lithofin slate seal but the customer was told from where he got the slate from(quarry in lakes) to use linoseed oil.Is there any reasons not to use linoseed oil?
Also what sort of shine does Lithofin slate seal give?the customer is not wanting a high gloss and finally from experience whats best way to apply-roller,brush or lint free cloth?
Cheers for any help
Kev

D

david campbell

theres a thread "just about to seal my new slate floor" go to it and scroll down to daves post with picture,it shows a floor he sealed with lithofin and it doesn't come up too shiny,it'll give you an idea what it'll look like!:yes:

S

Spud

linseed oil is a bit old hat these days and after a while the oil oxidises and darkens on the surface of the tile , there are so many good sealers on the market these days, every tiler has ones they like to use, you will not go far wrong with lithofin , fila , aqua mix and ltp iron wax is quite good on slate , i dont particularly like Hg products find them hit and miss although golv polish isnt a bad product
hope this helps

K

kaharrison9

Cheers lads for advice
I would prefer to use Lithofin slate sealer but if the customer decides to use linseed oil could you see there been any probs.If so would the method still be seal-grout-seal?
Also had a thought will it be okay to use a washboy,the slate is very smooth and doesn't appear porous.
Thanks in advance
Kev

D

DHTiling

Never use linseed oil on slate.......it is too dense and will not soak it up....:yikes:

D

david campbell

still seal-grout-seal,using a washboy should be ok as long as they are sealed properly:8:

D

doug boardley

which quarry did it come from, Burlington, elterwater, or most likely, Kirkstone. Can you not phone them and ask why they recommend linseed oil?

K

kaharrison9

Cheers all
It is from Kirkstone and from your helpful replies i will ring and ask why they suggest linseed oil.
Anybody have a preference with a roller or brush when using sealants?
Thanks to all
Kev

D

doug boardley

for slate esp if its riven, i use a brush and then wipe off about 10 mins later with a lit free cloth Kev,
ps how are cutters for you? ok i hope

K

kaharrison9

If you mean the TX700 and TR400 great-well balanced combination.
Full confidence especially with the TX on porcelain.
Cheers
Kev

K

kaharrison9

Hi all.
Apologies for asking more on the sealing subject.
Had decided to use lithofin slate seal but the more i read up on lithofin products wondering if perhaps i'm wrong in doing so.
I haven't mentioned earlier in the thread that it is for an ensuite area with a shower cubicle.The slate was put down one year ago by an all in one plumber/tiler/elecrtician and never sealed(also grout lines between 3-10mm and the cuts!!).The slate is smooth,honed, doesn't seem very porous and i take it has been polished.
I spoke to lithofin and they suggested not to use slate seal as over time the sealant will go white coming in contact with water.
They have suggested lithofin wexa to clean the year long grime off,then 4 days later colour intensifier,then next day stain stop,grout then stain stop
The customer has realised it's been a very poor job and has asked if i can simply improve and finish.
Any thoughts should i go through the correct time consuming process or will slate seal intensify and seal?
On the positive side i've learned plenty on slate and gained experience on wether its worth taking on others bad workmanship.
Thanks for any thoughts
Kev

D

DHTiling

Slate seal is a topical sealer and will do what lithofin state......you can use the intensifier and stainstop but stainstop is ok on it's own...just depends on what the slate colours are like to start with..

K

kaharrison9

Cheers for replying Dave.
The colour of the tiles when wet is randomly a dark green/blue and black and very speckly.
Could i ask one last thing on the lithofin spec sheet for the colour intensifier and stain stop it says no gloss,will this leave the tiles a matt or a satin finish?
Thanks everyone for your time.
Kev

D

DHTiling

you say the tiles are polished...so the intensifier will bring up the colour and the stainstop will help prevent stains...and not alter the tiles appearance..

Reply to linaseed oil?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks