Discuss Levelling over floor boards in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
looking for some help to level a floor which is floor boards. I didn’t know how out of level they were until I cut some out to drop the shower tray in. Over 1800 mm it’s about 15mm out of level. It was easy enough to level under the shower tray but I can’t lift all the floor boards up and try to level the rest.
Can I lay a tile backer board or Hardie Backer board then self level it? The tiles going down will be Porcel-thin if that makes a difference.

Cheers
John..

Reaction score
9F423017-2565-4A6B-AD0F-F73276842FFA.jpeg

You can see how far the floor is out by the height of the ply

John

Reaction score
Yes I’m a Joiner :D. The floors flat, but badly out of level, there’s no way I can rip the floor out and level the joists. It would be an absolute nightmare to do and I only have so much time off work :(
I need a over boarding, self levelling type of option :D
Cheers
John.

O

Old Mod

You only need flat, level isn’t so important, unless the direction of fall causes issues.
But it MUST be flat for thin tile.

Reaction score
The reason I want it level as you will see it on the edge of the shower tray. The tray will sit above the tiles about 20mm at one end and 5mm at the other
Most people won’t notice it but I will :D
John..

O

Old Mod

Yes you can fix 6mm Hardie with tile adhesive and then screw it down, or you can use their new expanding foam type of adhesive out of a can. However that’s brand new product and I’ve not read anything about it yet.
So I’d advise sticking to what we know works, especially with your choice of material.
So use tile adhesive to stick it down first then anchor with screws afterward.
Hardie screws are not the best, a bit like trying to use dry wall screws, they have a habit of snapping.
Most here use Turbo Golds.
Then tape the joints with scrim style tape and fill joints with tile adhesive.
Then you can slc the floor.
You know it’s not self levelling, right? :eek:
Make sure you fill any escape route for the slc, otherwise you might find it in your kitchen table instead. :p
A pinned roller will help remove the air bubbles and level it.
Mix strictly to instructions and let it slake for 2-3 mins (stand) and remix, it should stay that consistency then.
Don’t be a slouch tho, it won’t be long before it starts to turn.
If you keep an eye on it while it’s drying, you will get an opportunity to rub any high spots back before it cures. But you have to watch closely, it’s a small window.
Once it cures, if it has high spots, use a carborundum stone to rub them back.

Reaction score
Yes you can fix 6mm Hardie with tile adhesive and then screw it down, or you can use their new expanding foam type of adhesive out of a can. However that’s brand new product and I’ve not read anything about it yet.
So I’d advise sticking to what we know works, especially with your choice of material.
So use tile adhesive to stick it down first then anchor with screws afterward.
Hardie screws are not the best, a bit like trying to use dry wall screws, they have a habit of snapping.
Most here use Turbo Golds.
Then tape the joints with scrim style tape and fill joints with tile adhesive.
Then you can slc the floor.
You know it’s not self levelling, right? :eek:
Make sure you fill any escape route for the slc, otherwise you might find it in your kitchen table instead. :p
A pinned roller will help remove the air bubbles and level it.
Mix strictly to instructions and let it slake for 2-3 mins (stand) and remix, it should stay that consistency then.
Don’t be a slouch tho, it won’t be long before it starts to turn.
If you keep an eye on it while it’s drying, you will get an opportunity to rub any high spots back before it cures. But you have to watch closely, it’s a small window.
Once it cures, if it has high spots, use a carborundum stone to rub them back.

Cheers, I have used it before on concrete in my own house ,about 20m2 of it. Not for tiles but Lvt flooring.
I have anew boxes of spax screws I will use them, or if I get sick fire a load of Paslode nails through it :p
Cheers
John...

Reply to Levelling over floor boards in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks