• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Levelling clips are a load of tosh? Really? in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

L

LM

F06F665B-3F88-4667-A139-275E8CFE92EA.jpeg 59613AC0-A8BB-42B7-9228-8F2EF54D483D.jpeg 54270025-4366-421F-8F8F-E924FB1DB1B2.jpeg F84658FD-DFA0-445B-B669-F57029C84B39.jpeg 9E6CE6E8-9C1C-481B-9070-DCF9466CF10D.jpeg I’ve had arguments with ‘tilers’ who tell me that levelling clips are a gimmick and they’re not needed. Well look what happened to some plonker who said this to me. The floor without the clips is obvious and by pure coincidence I finished one yesterday were clips were used. I got a call by a plumber friend asking me to quote to finish the job that the ‘tiler’ who wouldn’t use clips got threw off, so I visited site yesterday to find this :eek:

OP
I

Italy

It is from 2011, which I discuss with tiler
for this reason.
now I have surrendered .....
lee, do you still want to bring me into these discussions?

OP
B

Bill

by the way, with planks, I always use clips now....it is quicker to get the perfection I need.

Brian the Tile

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Nice to have perfection Tom yes and im school also been tiling now forty odd years and still cant get how you get a bent tile (lets just say planks for instance) to make a floor without slight lipage there are no clips in the world that can make a bent tile flat,i can make them accseptible and always point out bad tiles to my customers before i will fix them after all my name is Brian not Jesus

OP
Q

Qwerty

I tiled a floor in similar planks without clips - no lips.

View attachment 95122

Some planks are good quality, others not.
Personally I like to use clips even if there is a minor bow in them. Last year I did a large plank floor job using Mandarin Stone planks. Great quality tiles but roughly 20% had a slight bow on one end. The whole floor was laid using 1.5mm Raimondi clips in random bond and in the end was dead flat. Without them the floor would have had lips galore

20160809_154201.jpg

OP
S

Spare Tool

Brian, clips will bend a bowed tile and hold it in place untill the adhesive sets, recently done a swimming pool surround in 1200 planks and not only did the clips get the floor lip free they also allowed me to gently bend a gentle three way fall towards the pool with no envelope cuts, as Tom says try them you'll be surprised

Brian the Tile

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
So now im being told that theese magic clips will bend the tiles,look ive only been tiling forty odd years i will stand at the side of any tiler worth his salt and make as good a job as he as quick as any tiler on this site or any other but the one thing i cannot do is make bowed tiles flat so for that reason im out

OP
F

Flintstone

Brian, keep with the times mate rather than arguing with people that have done it. It’s well known that clips are the only real way to get lips out of bowed long planks, and other bowed tiles.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Although I've never used them I'm impressed with the finish that can be achieved with them.
Do you charge to fit them?
If so how much would they increase the price on say a 40 to 50 meter job?

OP
F

Flintstone

Andy I’ve only started using them this year and only with certain tiles and certain jobs and I assure you and anybody they will give a superior finish. On a floor of 50m, they will not slow you down, probably Speed you up as less time adjusting tiles. Price of products totally varies.

OP
O

Old Mod

Although I've never used them I'm impressed with the finish that can be achieved with them.
Do you charge to fit them?
If so how much would they increase the price on say a 40 to 50 meter job?
There’s no real fixed number to a floor Andy, esp planks, it can vary depending on quality. What I tend to do is buy 2000 and divide cost over next few jobs by adding what I think I can get away with to cover cost of whole purchase. Probably a simpler way I’d say. Adding per m2 can look expensive to clients if you’re giving meterage rates, where loosing £50 is much simpler.

OP
S

Spare Tool

So now im being told that theese magic clips will bend the tiles,look ive only been tiling forty odd years i will stand at the side of any tiler worth his salt and make as good a job as he as quick as any tiler on this site or any other but the one thing i cannot do is make bowed tiles flat so for that reason im out
Where anywhere has anyone questioned your experience or fixing capabilities.
Next time you get a bowed plank Brian try putting them face to face and squeeze both ends, the planks will bend flat.. no?? Well thats what the clips do and hold till adhesive sets, there not magic, no hocus pocus going on!!

Brian the Tile

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Only a few using them ,come on guys get with the times move on ,i could have laid a 15 mtr floor the time that fella explaind all that been payed gone home and had my tea,but he had to explain properly for all us that dont know anything,listen i dont come on here to fall out with folk and i think after 40 odd years in the trade i think i may know a little and a little respect wouldnt go a miss,that american fella is probrably a very rich man now and doesnt need to fix another tile theese new fangle bits cant work miracles,maybe the tile maufaturers need to spend and make the tiles flat that woul be nice for us and the customers

OP
H

hmtiling

Only a few using them ,come on guys get with the times move on ,i could have laid a 15 mtr floor the time that fella explaind all that been payed gone home and had my tea,but he had to explain properly for all us that dont know anything,listen i dont come on here to fall out with folk and i think after 40 odd years in the trade i think i may know a little and a little respect wouldnt go a miss,that american fella is probrably a very rich man now and doesnt need to fix another tile theese new fangle bits cant work miracles,maybe the tile maufaturers need to spend and make the tiles flat that woul be nice for us and the customers
I think you'd get a little more respect if you knew what you were talking about Brian. 40 years or 6 months in, if you are wrong then you're wrong and you are wrong

Brian the Tile

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Believe me being in the trade for so long ive heard allsorts of c..p where so called tilers try to con customers into certain things, if that is keeping up with the times well ill stay behind thanks and do things that i know from old,dont think anyone on this site will agree but to me experience counts for a lot and whatever anyone says you will never ta

Brian the Tile

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
I think you'd get a little more respect if you knew what you were talking about Brian. 40 years or 6 months in, if you are wrong then you're wrong and you are wrong
Here we go ,i would sooner listen to someone with experience than someone with nonas a matter of intrest which corse did you go on

Reply to Levelling clips are a load of tosh? Really? in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer