Discuss Let's debate , Rubi or Sigma. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Peter

Someone on here has already put a video up of taking a strip off the side of a whole tile. Anyone remember who it was?.

Think I have a video up somewhere of taking a fairly small sliver off a 1000x500 and a picture of the 7f taking -10mm off a Vitra white.

D

Dougs Third Go

So, you guys that have used both, have you got a definitive answer as to why a sigma or rubi is the better machine? We can hear Derek from sigma and Mark from rubi harp on about how good their cutters are, but bottom line, what's the aspect in your opinion that makes one better than the other?

P

Peter

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FMHleKAduRw[/video]

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b8i5tcwlwB0[/video]

beanz

TF
Reaction score
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FMHleKAduRw[/video]

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b8i5tcwlwB0[/video]

The address wasn't understood

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (rtsp) isn't associated with any program.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
I don't think there is a definitive answer all joking aside , I find both have +ve / -ve aspects.

I like the bed on the Rubi 700/1200 because the tile doesn't slide around to very much which helps when lining up 2 marks on a large tile.
On my little Sigma I like the base as if I'm doing some standard mosaic , it sits over the centre bar nicely if I want to cut a complete row. I also like it because its so small and is usable in a tight space with ease( although generally I like to set up in a diffo room from wherer I'm tiling )

I don't like the metal bases on sigmas as I find that on an older machine the bed can move around a little.
I dont like the bigger sigmas as I feel they are just too chunky and awkward to move around and have vision of it banging into something. My Rubi comes out of case and sits on thast case and just feels more streamline. Again this is only personal opinion.

I dont like the breaker on the TS as I don't really think they're any good for todays stuff , just the odd kitchen / cheapo bathroom tile now.

Diggy

D

DHTiling

So, you guys that have used both, have you got a definitive answer as to why a sigma or rubi is the better machine? We can hear Derek from sigma and Mark from rubi harp on about how good their cutters are, but bottom line, what's the aspect in your opinion that makes one better than the other?

There is no mark from rubi , he works for fila now. :)

D

Dougs Third Go

I don't think there is a definitive answer all joking aside , I find both have +ve / -ve aspects.

I like the bed on the Rubi 700/1200 because the tile doesn't slide around to very much which helps when lining up 2 marks on a large tile.
On my little Sigma I like the base as if I'm doing some standard mosaic , it sits over the centre bar nicely if I want to cut a complete row. I also like it because its so small and is usable in a tight space with ease( although generally I like to set up in a diffo room from wherer I'm tiling )

I don't like the metal bases on sigmas as I find that on an older machine the bed can move around a little.
I dont like the bigger sigmas as I feel they are just too chunky and awkward to move around and have vision of it banging into something. My Rubi comes out of case and sits on thast case and just feels more streamline. Again this is only personal opinion.

I dont like the breaker on the TS as I don't really think they're any good for todays stuff , just the odd kitchen / cheapo bathroom tile now.

Diggy
that's the kinda answer i was looking for Diggy, no disrespect to Peter, but want to hear it from guys in the firing line and not from links:thumbsup:

C

charlie1

i cant believe we are having this debate! None of them are the best! They are tools which aid a tiler to tile, the best one is the one that the tiler prefers! Its not about the tool its about the tiler, yes, sigma has better breaking and quicker than rubi but you get better vision with the rubi. The sigma is arguably constructed more efficiently imo.

Dan, maybe you could get the data on winners of jotm and compaire them with tile cutters used, that would be interesting!

P

Peter

Nope. For some reason it's taking me to a strange looking page that doesn't work!?! I can see the video's, but it won't let me play them!?!

Not sure then, do a user search for pstiling and have a few videos up.

Never understood the better vision argument but then I have always leant to one side slightly when cutting and never noticed.

Reply to Let's debate , Rubi or Sigma. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks