Discuss Leaking shower wall grout joints, best patch material? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Mick

TF
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the forum. I am a keen DIYer. I have a problem which I thought would be pretty widespread but I cant find much information on. Could any experienced tilers please help?

I have a 3 sided tiled shower cubicle (porcelain tiles on gypsum plaster on brickwork, a resin shower tray has factory fitted upstands on 3 sides behind the plaster). It's about 20 years old, recently dampness has been showing in the plaster of adjacent rooms, up to about 0.6m metre high. I am sure water has been getting through the grout joints which have fine hairline cracks.

I have taken off the tiles above the shower valve, well above any dampness and I was looking at patching up the plaster walls and tanking the plastered walls with Aquaseal and retiling the lower walls. (The copper valve feed pipes were also embedded in the plaster and I was looking at wrapping these in duct tape and felt prior to filling.)

I am struggling to find the best material to patch the plaster with? I did consider using Tetrion which is a powder filler I had, apparently suitable for inside or outside but their technical dept. said find something else. I know the best base for tiles is sand cement render but I don't know how suitable it would be for a bit of repatching of gypsum plaster? I don't want to hack off the plaster because over 95% of it is in perfect condition.

Can anyone help?

It would be much appreciated, Thanks Mick

W

Waluigi

Get some celafelt around the pipes if there’s room. Duct tape is widely used but it’s not really the right product as it doesn’t allow the pipes to expand properly within the wall

Reply to Leaking shower wall grout joints, best patch material? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks