Discuss Leaking shower tray - silicone advice please! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 49599

Hi all,

I'd love some advice please. I'm re-sealing a shower tray that has a little bit of flex in it. The flex is minimal, but the old seal I did previously wasn't done perfectly and if a heavier person has a shower then the joint between the shower tray and bottom tiles would let a few drips of water through. I've removed the old silicone completely and prepped the area and just wanting to make sure I do it better this time.

I've been watching some videos and one of the tips is to use a low modulus silicone for joints that have a little bit of flex. However, I've been searching and searching for bathroom silicone that is low modulus and haven't found anything. It seems that the only low modulus silicone on the market is for general building use rather than bathrooms.

One of the additional problems is that for sealing around a bath one of the tips is to fill the bath with water first before applying silicone to avoid the flex breaking the seal, but you obviously can't do this with a shower. I'm planning to put a load of heavy things in the shower tray before applying the silicone to get it to set whilst the joint is already a bit flexed which isn't ideal but is the best I can think of. I've got a fugi tool so hopefully the seal will be better than before anyway.

So basically I have 2 questions:
1) Can I buy low modulus bathroom silicone? If yes, where?? If not, what is the best silicone to use in this situation?
2) Any other tips for improving shower tray silicone other than my current plan?
3) When doing the corner (I have a vertical joint in the corner of the tiles and two horizontal joints where each side meets the shower tray) what is the best order to do the silicone? Is it best to do vertical then the horizonals?? And is there a direction that is best?

Thanks all very much!

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have used a low modulus sanitary silicone recently it was by a company called Soudal, the silicone was called Silirub A. As good as any other l have used.

As to the order of application it does not matter, the main thing is to get a good application as deep as possiable,( the more you have in the joint the more movement it will accommodate.

D

Deleted member 49599

Hi Bond, You're an absolute star I looked for ages but that's exactly what I'm looking for, thank you! You didn't buy this from a shop by any chance? I'll order online if I have to but would ideally buy from a store so I can get my bathroom back to normal rather than waiting for delivery!

Thanks again!

B

Bill

I use a Dow Corning 785 silicone as my go to. Tremendous product.
Dow Corning 785+ Bacteria Resistant Sanitary Silicone White 310ml - https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/dow-corning-785-bacteria-resistant-sanitary-silicone-white-310ml/58308#product_additional_details_container

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Flintstone

If there is movement, your up against it really. I think what your going to do sounds about as best you can do. Make sure it's all clean, use the fugi and get a bit of a thicker bead, perhaps 8mm. Good look with it!

B

Bill

Ideally, you should have a gap between tile and shower tray to accommodate the silicone. If not, just make sure you do not take off too much silicone when using the fugi kit.

As for the actual application, just make sure you squeeze the silicone right into the gap and use plenty. Once applied, use a spray bottle filled with a little washing up liquid and water to act as a barrier for your fugi (or finger or any other tool - the pro's use wooden sticks they have made themselves) then slowly drag the tool along the silicone joint. You will have lots of excess material but don't worry, this is normal and it should just be able to pick up and dispose of because of the washing up liquid spray. I start with my vertical joints first but I do silicone all joints before spraying.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Low modulus mastic is more for exterior use.....
Imo you need to stop the tray from flexing or the problem will just keep coming back no matter what mastic is used..... They all have limitations..

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Bond, You're an absolute star I looked for ages but that's exactly what I'm looking for, thank you! You didn't buy this from a shop by any chance? I'll order online if I have to but would ideally buy from a store so I can get my bathroom back to normal rather than waiting for delivery!

Thanks again!

No not from a shop, it was a free bee from a fixings company.
Its states that this product has a low modulus of elasticity, and high movement capability. Nevertheless if you can get access to the base of tray and provide additional support, all the better. This silicone also contained a powerful anti-fungicidal agent, to restrict the growth of mould. Good luck.

G

GoneGuy

Is there access to under the shower tray where you can check make sure none of the feet are broken or loose then maybe you could prop it up more to stop movement.
Then look into silicone all the joints

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hopefully the flex is NOT from the floor moving due to it not being braced adequately (usually is in my experience) the seal will only last a few weeks and it will go again.

P

paul3944

Had a job like this a couple of months ago.

I Ripped the tray out for closer investigation to find the tray was supported by ply which was completly rotted due to water ingress. This is was what caused the tray to flex.

Reply to Leaking shower tray - silicone advice please! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks