Discuss Layout Question in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

harrylime

Hi all
I am tiling a 1200 by 900 shower recess with 600 x 300 tiles (laid horizontally). I would have liked brick bond but the horizontal ridged tiles do not seem to lend themselves to this layout so the tiles will be vertically aligned. This may sound like a daft question but I'm torn on how to lay them out. The back of the shower is simple, at 1200 it is two tiles across. The sides are 900mm, so 1.5 tiles across. I can't decide whether to position the full 600 tile near the shower door, or starting in the back corner. Is there any aesthetic or practical reason to do it one way or another? Apologies if it is a daft question but I did not want someone to say after that that's all wrong. Thought it worth asking the question

B

Bill

Create a feature wall and put the tiles on vertical so you have 3 across..........would work even better if you had two different coloured tiles (closely matched of course for aesthetic purposes)

H

harrylime

Not keen on vertical tiles. I do have two contrasting tiles. Horizontally ridged tiles are going on the back wall, and plainer, stone effect tiles are going on the two sides.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
How level is the back wall? if it is out you don't want to be starting with a full tile in the corner as the gap between wall and tile will get bigger or you'll be having to cut a slither off depending on what way out of level it is. Cut into corner if this is the case.

H

harrylime

JMC, that had occurred to me. It is not far off vertical but starting with a full tile at the front would allow me to compensate for any runout. Presumably I need a gap in the corner, to be grouted ( I was also considering a bead of silicone up the corners, in grey to match the grout). I am also considering brick bond with the plainer tiles on the sides, even though the ridged tiles on the back wall are to be vertically aligned,
The 450 cuts are also an option worth considering, thanks Tom. I've done a few tiling jobs(only for myself), but this one really has me thinking

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Silicone colour match in the vertical corners of showers is a must, brick bond is fine and sounds a nice idea but just check to make sure the tiles are not bowed otherwise you could have unsightly lipage where the low points meet the high points, Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

H

harrylime

I don't think I've seen brick bond together with vertically aligned tiles. I will check the flatness of the tiles, is lippage more of a problem with brick bond? Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen brick bond together with vertically aligned tiles. I will check the flatness of the tiles, is lippage more of a problem with brick bond? Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it
Only if they are bowed, otherwise fine.

J

Just Rizzle

you could also do a herring bone type pattern would throw the walls out making it look wider and bigger.
horizontal and vertical not at 45

Reply to Layout Question in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks