Discuss Layout advice, please. Would this look too bad? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Rosa

TF
Reaction score
Hi there!

I finally decide to plan the layout from the entry door, with full tiles across the center of the hall and going from there into the adjoining rooms.

With the sitting room works perfect but in the kitchen/dinning room tiles would be too small on one side (as seen in pics).

The grout will be 1.5 in similar color to tiles.

Do you think it will look too bad? Should I rethink the layout?

Thanks a million in advance for your help:blush:
IMG_20180125_084236.jpg
IMG_20180125_084434.jpg

S

Spare Tool

All I can see from those pics is you've left yourself ni on impossible cuts through the door way, try landing a groutline across your kitchen door and see how that works..can't really help more without more pics and measurements

O

Old Mod

That’s a sensible solution from Albert :arrowup::arrowup::arrowup:

Two reasons,
1. It gives you an expansion joint through doorway, which is something that should be incorporated as a matter of course anyway.
2. It will allow to almost set out the space how you weant it. On one axis anyway.

O

Old Mod

A closure is a shortened tile in amongst full tile to move the layout.
Cut the tile in the doorway under the door, so that the joint runs underneath the line of the door. So when Doris closed it appears to have a large piece either side. Then if need be, shorten the tile going in to the closer to move the layout left to right as we see the photo.

Rosa

TF
Reaction score
Thanks a million for your replays!

Uff 3_fall thing is if I do that I will end up with 3 following tiles all in different size. I upload more pics so you can see what I mean.
IMG_20180128_131758.jpg
IMG_20180128_110750.jpg
IMG_20180128_110818.jpg
IMG_20180128_111141.jpg
IMG_20180128_110714.jpg
IMG_20180128_111148.jpg
IMG_20180128_113650.jpg
IMG_20180128_113713.jpg

O

Old Mod

Not quite sure what you mean by your reply tbh Rosa, but if that is your intended layout in the photos, that is not how most of us would set that out.
Personally I would have a centre line down your hallway.
It would give you two equal cuts off the centre line, I would not have two thin cuts down each side of one tile like that, or thro the doorways.
Again it would be centred as near as possible.
The way you have it, you have unacceptable sized cuts everywhere, which are also extremely difficult to do let alone keep in one piece.
Try moving your hallway half a tile over, similarly move everything down half a tile, this will give you much better cuts everywhere.
Ok there may be the odd small cut here and there, but there is always a small compromise to be made.
As it is, as a diy project, it will be a uphill battle all the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rosa

TF
Reaction score
Sorry Andy!! I didn't realize it was so late.. an even later in Uk!

Really, you guys are saving me from years and years of annoyance! I truly will pray for you all to win the lottery!!:grinning:

Thanks a million Andy, sincerely appreciated. Tomorrow I will do the measures with what you advice.

S

Spare Tool

Sorry Andy!! I didn't realize it was so late.. an even later in Uk!

Really, you guys are saving me from years and years of annoyance! I truly will pray for you all to win the lottery!!:grinning:

Thanks a million Andy, sincerely appreciated. Tomorrow I will do the measures with what you advice.
That's 'Marc' @3_fall ;)

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Rosa, if you are going to give us a Lotto prayer then I will have to give you some tile advice!!

You say 1.5 grout. Do you mean 1.5mm grout line? That's pretty ambitious for a non tiler (sorry, thats an assumption on my part). Also, are the tiles rectified (i.e. all exactly the same size). Lots of large tiles can vary between 1-2mm in overall size. Even a pro tiler would not use such a small grout line. Go for 3mm and use levelling clips.
Raimondi-wedge.jpg

upload_2018-1-29_11-16-23.png

The above is 600x600 tiles and I used a 3mm grout line. Porcelain over underfloor heating.

Good luck.
p.s. Do I buy my lotto ticket for this Fridays draw? !!

I

Italy

Rosa, if you are going to give us a Lotto prayer then I will have to give you some tile advice!!

You say 1.5 grout. Do you mean 1.5mm grout line? That's pretty ambitious for a non tiler (sorry, thats an assumption on my part). Also, are the tiles rectified (i.e. all exactly the same size). Lots of large tiles can vary between 1-2mm in overall size. Even a pro tiler would not use such a small grout line. Go for 3mm and use levelling clips.
Raimondi-wedge.jpg

View attachment 96420
The above is 600x600 tiles and I used a 3mm grout line. Porcelain over underfloor heating.

Good luck.
p.s. Do I buy my lotto ticket for this Fridays draw? !!
I understood that I will remain an apprentice for life ....;)

Rosa

TF
Reaction score
He he thanks for the laugh Sean!:p
So how do you know if they are rectified?.. In the box it said digital glazed vitrified..do that mean they are or are not rectified??

Reply to Layout advice, please. Would this look too bad? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks