Discuss Laying Wood Effect Porcelain - Advice and grout selection in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Buckfast

Hi All

Getting a big job done on the kitchen come living room. Having wood effect porcelain planks installed. It is part of a renovation of my new house and the builder is looking after most of the work. He will have his tiler do the work, but just wanted to check in here with the experts to make sure all is done properly. (Im in Ireland by the way).

1. We are going for a 2mm joint, im told that anything else is not advisable. We dont want to go larger as I prefer the look of the narrow grout line.
2. We are going with a 33% overlap, as I have seen this recommended.
3. I need to source the best quality grout (the builder is getting the adhesive). Is Mapei Ultracolor plus a good choice?? ( I assume this is a flexible grout?)
4. Any advice on choosing a grout colour?

Thanks

R

Rookery

1. I'd also go for 2mm joint despite BS advising 3mm
2. I prefer random but if 1/3 bond suits that's up to you. Get the tiler to lay a few loose for you to see.
3. I'd use Ultracolor Plus.
4. I'd go for a grout colour close to or just darker than the tile colour.
A perimeter movement joint is essential and, if it's a big job, there might also need to have intermediate movement joints, depending on shape/size of floor(s).

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Where in Ireland are you?
We have Irelands finest tile contractor as a member.
To be honest, a random tile layout looks far superior to any regularly staggered design.
If a competent fitter undertakes your project he should be able to accommodate.
Ucp is a good grout, however not liked by all.
Personally I like a dark contrasting grout with planks so that it resembles a real timber floor.

420540BF-CC2F-403F-96B7-C482DA96B711.JPG 04A85D5E-5F7B-4112-B7E3-028E6B653879.JPG B5083D71-A808-40D1-BA7F-4160D6931130.JPG 7389FF82-90EB-474A-B855-50D56058BD2F.JPG

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
In your comment you say the builder is getting your adhesive. Is it a builder doing the tiling? or a tiler? Planks can be quite tricky and easy to get wrong. It could be good for you if you ask him if he's confident and competent to carry out the tiling. There are too many threads on here of bad installs. He may well be a great tiler.... just thought i would mention it.

B

Buckfast

Thanks both. I just thought about 1/3 as it has been recommended. For example, the Mapei website recommends it. I think random might be nicer too. Great looking work there in the photos. I am in County Meath, Rep of Ireland

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm with Marc, random bond looks far superior for me. Mapei UCP I don't have any problems, used to do, but not any more. Watch out for bowed tiles though, check before laying, otherwise your builder/tiler could end up in a mess

wayne

TF
Reaction score
I've got some to fix on Monday and on the box it says no more than third bond for fixing purposes. Guessing there a bit bowed then

kevsalt

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
thats the prob with planks....bowing ....ive laid some really good ones even 1.2 long but ive seen some shockers ..bananas

T

Tile Shop

Get 2 planks, lay them face to face, clamp them together dead centre so the gap created by the bow is equal at both ends, measure the gap an divide it by 2 to get the amount of bow per tile. If its more than 2mm, its technically out of tolerance to comply with BSEN14411.

But with the correct layout you should still be able to get round it without it causing lippage. Could also have some levelling clips on hand for the odd tile here and there.

T

Tile Shop

Side note, no manufacturer recommends half bond. But i think thats a good thing anyway. Shorter random bond looks better imo and makes it look closer to real or engineered wood, rather than having a uniform stagger or step which takes the naturality (is that a word?) out of the appearance.

L

LM

Hi @Buckfast, hope you go easy on the stuff lol;)
One aspect that is always important, but even more crucial to a class looking job with planks is good prep. Make sure the substrate (floor) is flat, I can't emphasis enough how important that is to a real good looking plank effect floor. Have a chat with the tiler and builder before tiling starts and make sure that the floor is flat every where, around the sides and through the thresholds etc. Time and money spent getting that right to start with will be well worth it in the end, good luck :)

O

Old Mod

Side note, no manufacturer recommends half bond. But i think thats a good thing anyway. Shorter random bond looks better imo and makes it look closer to real or engineered wood, rather than having a uniform stagger or step which takes the naturality (is that a word?) out of the appearance.
Can you draw me a diagram of a short random bond Paul please, don't quite follow.

Reply to Laying Wood Effect Porcelain - Advice and grout selection in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks