Discuss latex slc first or tile straight onto cables? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Eclipse

TF
Reaction score
Hi I joined and posted on this forum little while ago regarding our bathroom and ensuite wetroom designs - you guys were really helpful and your input really helped us improve the design and make sure the builders have prepared the room correctly. The rooms are nearly formed so we're getting closer to the next stage of laying the ufh and starting on the tiling. Whilst has lead me to my latest request for your advise....

It seems that it's preferred by many to put down a latex slc over the ufh cabling before fixing tiles to protect it from damage and provide a level base to work from.

My questions are:
  • Is this really needed if the cables are in a protective sleeve and the tiller is competent?
  • Is there a running cost disadvantage to having the slc and adhesive layer to heat before the tiles (anyone have any stats)?
  • Would you use slc if it was your house?
Fyi we're looking at loose wire (ultra thin) method.

Thanks!

F

Flintstone

what has your tiler suggested? Make sure they encase the cold tail connection under the tiles too

OP
E

Eclipse

TF
Reaction score
Thanks that's helpful, my head told me slc was the way to go after lurking on here over the past few weeks. My query came when visiting tile shops at the weekend to decide on which tiles to go with. One of the guys there seemed to think it was a bad idea when I asked for a quote including it. He claimed it would mean I would waste money on heating the slc first and that it wasn't necessary and not advised by some of the ufh manufacturers.

Not decided on which tiler to go with yet - none I've contacted have given me 100% confidence yet, so hard to find skilled trades these days hence why I feel the need to get myself clued up on the best methods.

So if you know anyone in the Midlands please do let me know!

F

Flintstone

Plenty of tilers on here throughout the U.K. As plantec said, put the job up on here.

The chap in the tile shop is talking a load of rubbish!

G

GoneGuy

As said in previous posts, the cables got to be encased to prevent burn out.
Im sure there will be a tiler on the forum who will pick up on your advert.
Good luck and any more questions you have your in the right forum for the answers

D

Dumbo

Thanks that's helpful, my head told me slc was the way to go after lurking on here over the past few weeks. My query came when visiting tile shops at the weekend to decide on which tiles to go with. One of the guys there seemed to think it was a bad idea when I asked for a quote including it. He claimed it would mean I would waste money on heating the slc first and that it wasn't necessary and not advised by some of the ufh manufacturers.

Not decided on which tiler to go with yet - none I've contacted have given me 100% confidence yet, so hard to find skilled trades these days hence why I feel the need to get myself clued up on the best methods.

So if you know anyone in the Midlands please do let me know!
Ask the guy in the tile shop which ufh manufacturer said that then phone them ask for technical then ask if they advise against using levelling compound .

Reply to latex slc first or tile straight onto cables? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer