Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss large format tile gaps in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

Think how grout sales have diminished over the years 6" quarries with wide joints to 300 x300 with 5 mm joints to 600x600 with 3mm joints some tighter .

2. Waluigi

Waluigi Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Look at what Bal are charging for a 10kg bag of Microflex. £30 odd. They can whistle.

3. area tiling

area tiling Professional Tiler

My last floor size was a similar rectangle , laid 120x60 rectified porcelain onto Kerakoll idro build Mat , followed expansion gaps on liquid screed floor , with ufh and put a soft joint in the middle of floor with matching silicone used 2mm spacers ! Can’t see anyone wanting a 4 mm joint with an expensive tile, but that’s just my opinion!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cranbrook

Cranbrook TilersForums.co.uk Addict

Ditto

5. peteablard

peteablard Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

I've just done 50m2 the same size and used 3mm. Tiles were perfect and could have done smaller but it's always nice to have some breathing space!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Tom Astley

Tom Astley Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

All my quarry tile were always done in sand & cement...... cheap as chips

• Like Like x 1
  7. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

Personally I hate anything over 2mm. I'll go to 3mm on a large floor tile if I must.

8. Paul Giovanni Raimondi

Paul Giovanni Raimondi Active Member

Hope not to offend by sabotaging thread but I'm just about to tile a wall with 120x60 porc. and was going to use 2mm or 1.5mm gap. Is there any reason I shouldn't? the wall is only 1.8m long two tiles high. (shower cubicle)

9. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

If your wall is stable and load bearing and has no deflection, 2mm will be ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. pdc

pdc Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

...and if the tiles are rectified or straight enough and evenly sized to allow a 2mm gap.

• Like Like x 1