Discuss Kitchen tiled with Metro in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

What kept me busy over Easter.

Few question arose - how does or should one finish around electrical sockets on such tiles ?
The grout did not appear to go as far as the bag suggested (I subtracted 15% from the 4mm gap numbers (gaps are 5mm) ) - 95% of a 5kg Bag of Mapei Ultracolour on just under 4 m2. What depth are they assuming?

The customer wanted the tiles to go higher than the cupboards as you can see from the images, how would others have tiled in that area near the hinge end of the doors?

20180331_135045.jpg 20180331_135059.jpg 20180331_135053.jpg 20180402_182818.jpg 20180401_230926.jpg 20180401_230916.jpg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Clear silicone round the socket..
I would of gone with a 2mm joint..
I would of gone with the same height you have, the finish round the doors is what it is......not much you can do about it when the kitchen is fitted tight to the walls with no infill Panel or gap..

F

Flintstone

I would silicone around a socket, I just screw then back. The height is right. As Andy says with no jnfil it’s always gonna be a compromise, you need a gap there to allow the door to open properly

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Thanks both. So some clear silicone on the faceplate then screw them back, and wipe around. Will do and thanks. At the moment a half clever house mouse good take up residents behind one :)

B

Bill

For what is worth... I would have moved those few wall units up to suit the full tile. Yes, it is more work but the client would be charged and the finish would be better.

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Tom. That's something certainly worth a thought. Other than time it would not have been difficult - honestly never thought about it.
We did talk about the window sill, removing the shelf board, and tiling the returns and base, but thats how she wanted it.
It's something I should have offered your right - thanks.

As it happens the floor is very badly chipped ( I constantly wanted to wipe them) and that is a request for the future.

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Hi John - I am not a professional tiler by trade. Maybe enthusiast would be a better description?

With regards to the floor my biggest concern would be removing the old tiles. Underneath the tiles is concrete.

Reply to Kitchen tiled with Metro in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks