Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Kitchen floor preparation in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Good evening. It's been a while..
I always visit when I need reliable advice, this is the most helpful forum I know.

As you can see, we are replacing our kitchen and at the same time have removed a floating timber floor and 50mm batterns/insulation for tile preparation. Today I have installed 18mm ply on 50mm batterns for the kitchen base units to sit on. Unfortunately my trusted tiler is not available until after the kitchen is fitted hence why we are not tile the full room.

In the concrete slab area I have prepared for 50mm Marmox boards by using with a sealer/primer. Once the boards are fitted with flex tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ porcelain floor tiles will be laid.

My questions -

How should I deal with the water pipes consisting hot and cold plus cental heating? They are not quite siting at 50mm height but should I chase into the concrete slab?

Typically what is the distance from the wall to the front base unit feet? Kitchen supplier couldn't give me a clear answer.

Does anyone see any problems with my work so far?

Screenshot_20171015-000956.png
Screenshot_20171015-001000.png

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Good morning. I plan to start fitting the Marmox boards this morning. Should I work around the water pipes until I have a plan for them?

Reaction score
Morning,
Chase pipes in to concrete slab it think that is the best way, or at least chase half in and cut 25mm in to board

Reaction score
Thanks Dontiler. Do you often see pipes like this that are then buried under the floor?
No, but don't think you have other option, I would probably asked builders to rise floor on battens, screw marine ply down, and then I would overboard it with 6mm cement board + ditra if you installing stone. That way you would not need to chase anything.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
No, but don't think you have other option, I would probably asked builders to rise floor on battens, screw marine ply down, and then I would overboard it with 6mm cement board + ditra if you installing stone. That way you would not need to chase anything.

Am doing pretty much same thing on current job. Lots of polypipe and HDMI cables:

20171010_102801.jpg

20171010_110517.jpg

20171010_145020.jpg

20171011_130852.jpg

20171012_110315.jpg

OP
A
Reaction score

I agree this sounds like a smart route. Aim was to get the insulation back in so Marmox was chosen. Looking at pipes where they connect to a radiator I'm not going to get these into the floor.

Reply to Kitchen floor preparation in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock