Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Kitchen End Panel - Tile Around or Place on Top of Tile in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

kiteboy

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Just fitting my kitchen today - no break for me - its pretty much in place just gotta screw things in now - well most of it is in now actually - just the island to get in really

But im still pondering over these these decorative end panels that go on the end of a kitchen appliance tower thing which contains a double oven and microwave

I take it these panels should sit on a tile??? - we are not on a position to tile yet as we havent had time to look yet and we need room badly with all these boxes everywhere so kitchen needs to go in so we can move here

The end panels are shown below in howdens - so is it just a case leaving a gap under them for the tile to go under?? Or do you lift and install ready for a tile or just tile around as is

Does it matter??? Ive heared if you tile around them a wet mop is less likely to get the ends of them wet - which if course causes them to expand and look like crap

I do like the idea of that to be honest and it makes sense

But just looking for advice really

Thanks all
20181025_101425_zpsk7gu8cb9.jpg

Thanks all

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
For me I always have flooring under the end panels then a small bead of clear mastic to seal. This way if/when the panel blows it can be easily replaced without damage to floor.
Also the intermediate panel between you’ve got between oven and adjacent cabinet should be cut off for plinth cutout so you get a clean straight line through

OP
kiteboy

kiteboy

TF
Reaction score
Bummer - ok glad I asked - ive secured the end panel and put an oven in the tower now

But thats no problem only a few screws really so no issue getting it out again but as you say there maybe no need to do that and just cut that piece off do you think on the intermediate panel???

I just went by the example kitchen that was shown in the showroom - that would be a bit easier for me just to cut it off

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Never go by what a builder has done when fitting a kitchen lol. Defo cut the the intermediate panel
Defo tile under end panel as it so quick easy to remove,’why risk it? I’ve replaced many panels due to water damage, if there tiled in the it’s a bugger

P

Perfect Tiling

As the above replies mate. Also....if you cut the tile around the panel they can crack if the tiles are pretty cheap. I tend to remove as many panels if they are on before I start and cut to sit just above the tile then silicon around neatly....same at with the plinths (kick plates). Try to put the cut edge of the panel at the top.....under the worktop. This allows the sealed edge to be at the bottom so it has extra protection from water etc....and also they can often chip when cutting so you would need a bigger bead of silicon to hide this. If you can't remove the panel.....use a multi saw and carefully mark then cut the front edge so the tile will slip under.......remember its easier to trim a wee bit more off if you need to rather than cut too much off the first time!!!!

OP
kiteboy

kiteboy

TF
Reaction score
Thanks all - much appreciated - Ill be able to get that panel out - Ive been busy figuring out the island yesterday and today getting the waste glued up and what not - so once that is done will head back to the panel and give it a cut as above

Thanks again all

Reply to Kitchen End Panel - Tile Around or Place on Top of Tile in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock