Discuss Just had my kitchen tiled with mosaics in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Tirccir

TF
Reaction score
Hi all, new to this forum so thank you in advance for reading my post. I'll try to be short and concise.

On Friday my kitchen plash back was tiled with 10mm thick marble moasics with 12.5mm trim by a tiler who had previously done my kitchen/dining room floor. Unfortunately, I feel the kitchen work is of poor quality and I need some honest advice on whether I'm being overly picky and/or what I should do next.

Key issues I have:
- Chimney stack built to 600mm wide and not 900mm despite specifically pointing this out
- Tiles are not flush with trim by 1-2mm despite being told by my tiler the size trim is what I needed (what seems to be a 1mm max cement bed)
- Large grout lines in areas
- Trim not very well placed in areas
- All corners of window reveal don't align
- Tile missing leaving a gap when plug socket is attached

There were a few minor things but the above is what I'm concerned about. So I have explained my concerns to which he got quite defensive about but he did say he would fix the issues to the of his best ability and within reason, and provided I pay 50% of the original cost upfront. I feel that if the quality was not on par the first time, he won't be able to fix the issues to the standard I had expected (this is where I wonder if being picky). I believe that anyone should be given the chance to rectify there mistakes (specifically making the chimney to the width originally specified) but unfortunately, I don't have faith the quality will improve.

A comment which put doubts in my head was that, when I pointed out the 1-2mm protruding lip of the trim he asked if I got the wrong sized trim. I then told him that I got the 12.5mm trim on his instruction, to which he then replied that there is usually a 1-2 mm lip on tiling like this.

I'm not sure where to go from here and any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20181201_171902.jpg IMG_20181201_171703.jpg IMG_20181201_175958.jpg IMG_20181201_171824.jpg IMG_20181201_175157.jpg IMG_20181201_171815.jpg IMG_20181201_171807.jpg IMG_20181201_175012.jpg IMG_20181201_172032.jpg IMG_20181201_171743.jpg IMG_20181201_171715.jpg IMG_20181201_171917.jpg IMG_20181201_171708.jpg

Tirccir

TF
Reaction score
I know what my two options are, either ask my guy to fix the issues and accept what ever is left, or get someone else in to either fix it or start again. Just wanted to get a second opinion.

Tirccir

TF
Reaction score
Thanks John appreciated. Could I ask, are you suggesting that because you think the quality is not up to the mark or my expectations could do with coming down a peg or two?

Additionally, is it standard to have a trim lip and grout lines like that?

I like my tiler, he's a decent bloke. Though it appears I've annoyed him with my unintentional lack of tactfulness.

T

Time's Ran Out

I like my tiler, he's a decent bloke. Though it appears I've annoyed him with my unintentional lack of tactfulness.

Are we related?
There seems to be too many areas of concern for remedial work to be undertaken. The trim is protruding over the face tiles, corner mitring ( internal and external) poor, uneven grout lined, large gaps to worktops filled with grout, badly set out cuts to window frame. Lesser issues - missing grout, pointed gap under cill....
Not a decent standard really for a ‘professional’ - buts that just my opinion!

Tirccir

TF
Reaction score
Haha it's possible!

It is just opinion but thank you for giving it all the same, it's not always easy to know what is an acceptable level of quality.

Perhaps you might know of a tiler down East Midlands way worthy of your recommendation??

Tirccir

TF
Reaction score
This is perhaps a stupid question but I'm assuming that if I'm getting it redone I'll have to take the £300 hit of replacing the tiles?

Thanks Andy, I'll do that

T

Time's Ran Out

A lot will depend on how long ago it was done and what adhesive they used!
If it was ready mixed in a bucket you may be able to clean them up to reuse.
You’ll certainly have to buy some but the back of marble can take a while to dry. What’s the total area/number of tiles involved?

W

Waluigi

Full rip out and start again.
If it was just one area of concern the same guy might be able to improve but it’s a catalogue of errors- poor trim mitring, incorrect mitring method. Poor cutting against window, gap too large and grouted between tile and window sill, tiles jutting out, tiles misaligned, grout everywhere, grout missing and tile cuts missing!

That’s just off the top of my head. The guy can’t honestly be a Tiler.

One thing that is also worth noting- if the guy can’t get the visual stuff right by making so many errors, what hope is there for things you can’t see! Poor preparation of walls, priming of the wall and adhesive used.

D

Dumbo

To be honest i wouldnt of used trims on that job .
Gap beside socket is probably due to the fact there is a gap between the electrical socket and the blockwork/plaster so nothing to stick the tile to . He should of filled it first . Also looks like abutments have been grouted, they should of been siliconed .

W

Waluigi

Yes I agree with that. External corners no need for trims at all or the top of the tile. Possibly just the top of the tile people sometimes want.

Reply to Just had my kitchen tiled with mosaics in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks