Discuss Jolly edge anyone have one? in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

Kieks

I was just wondering if anyone has the sigma jolly edge, or used one?

I brought one around a year ago. It worked very well for about 7 mitres on a 60/60 porcelain tile.

All of a sudden it started to run off the mitre edge leaving it thick. I’ve read the set up instructions and have it set right. But can’t get it to work as it did.

I’ll try upload some pics of the mitres it did to begin with, but am getting errors.

K

Kieks

Here are some pics

092AE58D-398F-4B58-8D37-067E330BB5FB.jpeg F10A9053-A161-4EBD-8112-32C68B62830A.jpeg 37689AF1-A4E7-4095-856C-ED469D112D85.jpeg

K

Kieks

Better off just learning how to do it with a grinder diamond blade and a polishing wheel.

View attachment 97998

You mean to tell me you don’t use a 3 meter long wet cutter? :eek:

I don’t mind doing it by hand, but that machine to begin with I was happy with. It only managed to do 7 tiles. The rest I did by hand.

Just please do not zoom in haha

O

Old Mod

You mean to tell me you don’t use a 3 meter long wet cutter? :eek:

Haha nah! I do everything on site.
The jolly uses resin polishing discs to mitre doesn’t it?
I’ve not used one, so please excuse my ignorance.

K

Kieks

Haha nah! I do everything on site.
The jolly uses resin polishing discs to mitre doesn’t it?
I’ve not used one, so please excuse my ignorance.

No, it uses a diamond blade. The jolly angle, or bevel use the polishing discs.

I also looked at the montolit pro bevel machine to, but decided to go the sigma route. It all looked so good on YouTube haha!

Cost me nearly £400 for the grinder, blade an machine. £400 for 7 bloody cuts, been in my shed ever since. :mad:

O

Old Mod

If it uses a diamond blade, first thing that comes to mind is to use a dressing stone first and check that blade is not bending as you mitre.
When mitring blades tend to be pushed outward on a fixed machine. That doesn’t happen so much when done by hand.
Can you adjust the rake on the blade?
Adjust it so that it ‘toes in’ on the leading edge, it’s leas likely to bend that way.
And of course you could always just try going slower, it’s our impatience that often leads to issues.
If you try any of the above, please come back and tell us how you get on.

K

Kieks

If it uses a diamond blade, first thing that comes to mind is to use a dressing stone first and check that blade is not bending as you mitre.
When mitring blades tend to be pushed outward on a fixed machine. That doesn’t happen so much when done by hand.
Can you adjust the rake on the blade?
Adjust it so that it ‘toes in’ on the leading edge, it’s leas likely to bend that way.
And of course you could always just try going slower, it’s our impatience that often leads to issues.
If you try any of the above, please come back and tell us how you get on.

Yes it has to be set up toes in using a metal ruler. There are measurements on the instructions on what the gap should be on the front and back of the machine.

I’ll dig it out the shed an try doing a video of it, with what you have said.

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
Used one 2 years go at the boss of Trimlines house . Worse machine I ever used. Brute force to push through, lots of passes to get it right. It would have been quicker with a tapping hammer ;)

K

Kieks

I’m also going to try running it over the tile. As I’ve only tried it with the table bracket and feeding the tile through.

Might make a difference.

Reply to Jolly edge anyone have one? in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks