Discuss Joining different thickness plasterboard and tile backing board in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I'm currently redoing my shower. It's a 3-walled shower enclosure and so far I've removed the old tiles and water-damaged plasterboard which was there previously (15mm British Gypsum plasterboard). It's a new build house (2006) and I'm now left with the metal studding (think it's again standard British Gypsum 'C' shape stuff) (see attached photo).

I intend to put up tile backing boards as the replacement walls, attaching them to the existing metal studs and I need to have the new walls join/butt up against the existing plasterboard so that they are flush. Outside of the existing shower cubicle the rest of the room is also tiled and I'm retaining those, so the new walls need to finish flush with the existing 15mm plasterboard upon which those tiles are mounted.

My issue is matching the wall thickness of the new tile backing boards with the existing 15mm plasterboard. I was going to use Hardiebacker 250 (6mm thick) originally, however if these are flush with the existing 15mm walls then I will then be left with a 9mm gap between the tile backer board and the metal studs.

Would I be ok to put up 9mm thick batons horizontally between the existing studs and then mount the 6mm Hardiebacker on these?

If this is a good way to do it, how many batons should I use, how wide (height-wise) should each one be, and what material should I use? (ply or hardwood I was thinking, seeing as it shouldn't see a moisture environment after sealing properly and tiling)

In the close-up attached photo you can see the tiles on the right-hand side mounted on the 15mm plasterboard and the metal studding where the shower walls will be. That is on the right-hand side in the other photo looking straight on.

IMG_1077.jpg IMG_1103 (1).jpg

W

Waluigi

There’s a reason that the metal studs were clad in 15mm board rather than the conventional 12.5mm- for strength. In fact over in Germany it’s expected to double up the 12.5mm board when using metal studs.

When using 12mm tile backer boards, manufacturers often suggest 400mm centres of studwork. 10mm Board is 300mm centres.

For me, if it’s just a domestic shower and if the tiles aren’t heavier than 32kg PSM, I’d use 15mm PB and tank it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
15mm plasterboard and tanking.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

What’s the best approach for tanking?

Also, what’s the right approach to fill and seal the join between the old and the new plasterboards?

W

Waluigi

I’d pop some paste on, either Tilemaster or Ardex.

Joining the two boards- tape it up and tank over it.

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This is how I do it 12mm Hardibacker fix strips of ply to the studs to make up 3mm difference first . Kop

20171204_165541.jpg 20180122_132300.jpg

Reply to Joining different thickness plasterboard and tile backing board in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks