Discuss Johnson tile 360x274mm with 8801 on the back in the Discontinued Tile Finding | List Spare Tiles area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

luap_s

Got a couple of these tiles that have cracked and looking to replace. I have one spare which has Johnson and 88 01 on the back.

Light mottled grey in colour.

T

Tile Shop

The 88 01 is just a code on the stamp that was used to initially press the tile into shape. Doesn't actually ID what the tile is. Can you post a couple of images up, we'll see if its one anyone recognises it.

L

luap_s

Thanks for the response - photos below.

IMG_0490.jpg
IMG_0491.jpg

T

Tile Shop

Two things.

First: I personally think it is not worth replacing a few cracked tiles. It will only be temporary based on the quality of the installation. Correct me if I'm wrong but those joints look about 10mm wide? No tiler I know would ever use a joint that large on pressed glazed ceramic wall tiles, no matter how sizey they may be, so a further guess is that this may have been a DIY project or a builder?

The way the grout joints are also cracking and caving in would suggest there is movement somewhere, causing both the tiles and grout to crack. No support beneath the grout may also indicate they have been spot fixed or there is insufficient coverage of adhesive, which is another major factor in cracking.

Second: Unfortunately I don't recognise the tile. It's not one from any of their mainstream ranges so most likely an exclusive to either B&Q or Wickes. Johnsons City touchstone tiles are the same size but design and colours are very different, but again, there may still be other exclusive ranges available in the "sheds" that could work. One last option you have is to find the closest match tile in a larger size and cut it down to do a patch-up.

Reply to Johnson tile 360x274mm with 8801 on the back in the Discontinued Tile Finding | List Spare Tiles area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks