Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Jackoboard fixing spacing in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

D

DavidJ

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I am fixing 12mm Jackoboard (strictly Contract board from CTD) to a studwall with 600mm studs. The board is 2400x600mm and I am laying the long edge horizontally along several studs.

I have fixed a screw into each stud along the horizontal edges (600mm centres) and also have fixed noggins 300mm up from the edge and attached a screw into this at 300mm offset to the edge screws. Please see that attachment for the stud pattern per 600mm square.

While the centre of the board is perfectly solid, if I grab the edge in the middle between two studs it is quite flexible which doesn't seem right.

The instructions I have found online seem to require a minimum of 5 screws per 1 square metre. The pattern I have used definitely exceeds this.

Can someone who has used these boards on a stud wall share what pattern of fixings they used?

Spacing.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
JACKOBOARD® Plano construction boards can be fixed to timber or metal stud frames using JACKOBOARD® 36mm diameter galvanised steel washers and appropriate screws. If the frame centres are 600mm apart then boards of at least 20mm thick should be used. Fastening points must be arranged as per figure 3 or 4. If the frames are at 300mm centres then 10 or 12,5mm thick boards can be used. Fastening points must be arranged as per figure 5 or 6.

Attachments

• VH_JACKOBOARD_Plano_Wand_EN.pdf
    806.9 KB · Views: 35
OP
D

DavidJ

Thanks for the Jackoboard instructions PaulSmith. I'm going to get some 20mm board.

Comparing the Jackoboard and Dukka board instructions, the Dukka board says its ok to share fixings across the edge of two boards but the Jackoboard requires the edges of both boards to have their own screws (offset 50mm). This would require the studs to be over 50mm wide. My (existing) studs are a shade under 40mm.

Would the Dukka board method work on these boards?

OP
O

Old Mod

Would the Dukka board method work on these boards?

It’s more about crushing the edges.
Tighten cautiously, and they’ll be fine I’m sure, although it’s not something I practice.
You can always help matters by using a PU https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ between the boards on the edges as you join them.
The more fixings the better.

OP
D

DavidJ

Speaking of not crushing the edges, do you leave the washers proud of the surface or let them pull into the board slightly so they're flush with the board surface?

Edit - found the answer on the instructions you posted:
"The insulation board discs must be sunk to the level of the board surface." so they have to crush the board a little

OP
D

DavidJ

Brilliant. I'll go with that pattern from the video. Luckily I'd only wasted one board before realising it wasn't right and I'm exchanging the remaining boards for 20mm.

Reaction score
If space isn't an issue.. but 12mm is fine with the correct studding. 3 x 2 CLS maybe cheaper then exchanging for 20mm Jacko. Let us know how you get on ;)

OP
D

DavidJ

Yes CLS is quite a bit cheaper but for me it would be a lot more labour intensive. It's easier just to get the right boards and not give myself more work to do!

Reply to Jackoboard fixing spacing in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock