Discuss Is this substrate ok? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
It's been a few years since I have visited.

I have to replace 2 tiles previously fitted to marmox that got damaged. When I pulled them up most of the concrete face has come off the marmox board so I'm not sure what is best. Hopefully this picture is clear to see.

DSC_1081.JPG

O

On one

For safeties sake,I would think cut the Marmox out.
What is the purpose of the Marmox and what thickness is it?

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It is 50mm marmox sitting on the concrete slab. It was added to raise the floor level and add insulation. Typically there is a power cable running in that area so I have to be careful is it a risk leaving it in place?

Q

Qwerty

You probably could just prime & tile but my concern would be its structural integrity. Without the scrim bonded within the cement of the face of the board there is the likelihood of movement on the foam core

J

J Sid

I very much doubt it Geoff. Maybe if it was mosaics but not porcelain planks, if that's what are going down

Reaction score
correct, porcelain planks. For peace of mind I will replace the marmox, thanks all. Typically I had loads of off cuts and we skipped it all.

Reaction score
Ok got the tiles down and happy with the result.

Originally I was going to fill the gap between ash floor and tiles with a grout matched silicone that I hold but I'm not sure that is best. The gap is about 8mm.

Previously I had a ash threshold cover but I wasn't happy as it was a trip hazard andcin my eyes spoilt the transition to a new floor. I was hoping Top tiles did a T trim but they don't. What's best guys?

DSC_1137.JPG

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would use the colour match silicone.

Reaction score
My only fear with silicone is protecting the edge of the tile and because it is a cut, maybe it is sharp and could hurt someone's foot! Plus the wooden floor has a slight dip in the middle so in the middle there is a few mm lip between tile and wooden floor.

Reply to Is this substrate ok? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks