Discuss Is this right? Or am I seeing things? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Pistol

And another point to @Pistol ........ why such a large gap between the tray and the walls?

Do you realise that is now a weak point for leakage no matter how much silicone you may have put in the gap before tiling?
Originally I was going to use shower panels, which would have given an extra 12.5mm each side, but the plan changed. As it is, the gap is about 8mm. The tiles cover this and drop on to the tray but to your point, I’ve had conflicting advice about whether it’s best to tile past the tray or on to it. I’ve never had a straight answer on this so would appreciate your thoughts.

B

Bill

Originally I was going to use shower panels, which would have given an extra 12.5mm each side, but the plan changed. As it is, the gap is about 8mm. The tiles cover this and drop on to the tray but to your point, I’ve had conflicting advice about whether it’s best to tile past the tray or on to it. I’ve never had a straight answer on this so would appreciate your thoughts.
Whatever advice I give you will say there was a reason you didn't do it that way...... just saying.

Moot as it maybe... plaster in a shower is poor practice for a kick off....... that is where my advice would have begun.

P

Pistol

Whatever advice I give you will say there was a reason you didn't do it that way...... just saying.

Moot as it maybe... plaster in a shower is poor practice for a kick off....... that is where my advice would have begun.
You asked a question,I answered.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I dry line in standard 12.5 plasterboard, prime and tank the whole thing and tape the joins, then fit the tray onto rapid set adhesive, or cement if you wish and then fit the tray, next a bead of silicone round the edges and the tanking tape overlapping the tray. It will never leak.

No point in plastering it what so ever.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
So the bottom line of this thread is that I'm a cowboy because I'm tanking plasterboard in a shower rather than using no more ply and tanking that?

Reply to Is this right? Or am I seeing things? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks