Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is this ok? Natural stone floor not level after tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
W

WaltWhite

Please checkout the following advertisement.
IMG_8767.JPG
IMG_8768.JPG
IMG_8769.JPG
IMG_8770.JPG
IMG_8771.JPG
IMG_8772.JPG
IMG_8773.JPG
Hi all

Meeting the tiler about the marble tiles floor tonight. I notice the grouting was commented on in earlier posts about being poor. Could you explain what looks wrong with it and how it should be remedied?

Also the tiler laid ceramic tiles on top of our other bathroom floor, I think it looks ok? But I've uploaded some pics here in case I've missed something again

Thanks for all your input so far been really useful

OP
M

MTiler

never had a stone job I needed or wanted to seal before fixing, Encaustic, as John said, always and Terracotta, well have only done one in the 25 years, many before that when all the fashion and did it as I used to, lay clean and sealed with linseed oil 3 time different dilution's each time.
I'm with Bob on this one, lay stone unsealed and clean and leave to dry completely before sealing.

I did a job with Bert & May encaustics and their instructions were to leave them for a few days after fixing to let them completely dry out and then seal them before grouting.

OP
M

MW Smith Ceramics

I did a job with Bert & May encaustics and their instructions were to leave them for a few days after fixing to let them completely dry out and then seal them before grouting.
I leave encaustics for a minimum of 7 days before sealing so moisture has evaporated

OP
W

WaltWhite

Hi all

Just regarding my original post which started this thread from my first photos the grouting has been highlighted as poor. Could someone explain what's wrong with it and how to sort it ? I'm not a tiler myself but meeting the tiler this eve want to be able to discuss clearly with him if poss. Thanks again for everyone's input

OP
M

MW Smith Ceramics

Hi all

Just regarding my original post which started this thread from my first photos the grouting has been highlighted as poor. Could someone explain what's wrong with it and how to sort it ? I'm not a tiler myself but meeting the tiler this eve want to be able to discuss clearly with him if poss. Thanks again for everyone's input

Hi Walt,

Well firstly it's filthy in places and looks as tho the dirt has been sealed in and the grout film on the surface of the stone has also been sealed in......the grout also looks patchy so the tiler probably didn't mix the powder & water to the correct ratio, consistency or it's been washed too much ( so if he has washed it off with clean water but then washed off again after the grout has started to cure it will dry patchy.....( that's a big problem I'm afraid ).....

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
View attachment 84788 View attachment 84789 View attachment 84790 View attachment 84791 View attachment 84792 View attachment 84793 View attachment 84794 Hi all

Meeting the tiler about the marble tiles floor tonight. I notice the grouting was commented on in earlier posts about being poor. Could you explain what looks wrong with it and how it should be remedied?

Also the tiler laid ceramic tiles on top of our other bathroom floor, I think it looks ok? But I've uploaded some pics here in case I've missed something again

Thanks for all your input so far been really useful
Ok, IMHO its a lazy setout so he has started with a full tile on an out of square wall by the looks of the picture which means that's the joint is getting bigger as it goes along but only a minor point. A better setout would have also avoided the slither cuts he has had to do near the radiator, and the tile he has cut in half to get around the pipe feeding the towel rail looks woeful. But if you are happy with it that's all what matters really.

OP
S

Spud

encaustics wont hold moisture for 7 days there are drier than jacobs crackers and soak up water quicker than blotting paper, I always get a couple of coats of sealing on prior to laying , I have seen so many disasters where tilers havent presealed and ended up cleaning up floors for clients due to poor installation practices , the only way to lay encaustics un sealed is to leave them in a barrel of water over night , they then need to be drained before fixing with rapid set , they wont get contaminated and can be cleaned while fitting but there is a much higher risk of efflouresence fixing them that way

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
These tiles certainly can be problematic, main issue I get is with pre sealed or washed over prior to the seal, look dry . They can ghost, whiten give a dusty appearance,patchiness .some will say that this is the look , but they can be installed with crisp / rich colours.
With one of our large suppliers, we cut down replacement by 60% by drying/releasing moisture prior to sealing, there is such a vast range of these tiles on the market with differing density and porosity ,this can offer many options of fixing ,if tested. Floors installed with a crystallising addy would be ideal perhaps ,but double the price perhaps ,Self levalers, screeds not fully dry can all add to the moisture level needing to release through these tiles, if there is an impregnator to barrier this , it can cause issues If you produce a salt within the body of the tile ,this will not be removed easily ,if at all
Gary, would you use a water based over a solvent? These are not so prone to the whitening, discolouration ,they just don't work as well,with moisture present.

OP
M

MW Smith Ceramics

I fix encaustics following fired earths fixing methods and I havnt had any problems to date.......they don't specify sealing before fixing, just to work clean as you go then once fixing is completed clean the floor, then 7 days drying, then first coat of Lithofin mn stain stop, once that is fully cured then grout, leave to dry then seal again until desired finish is achieved......I'm sure lots of tilers work differently but following this practice I've so far been okay with encaustics and quite enjoy fixing them now

OP
M

MW Smith Ceramics

Oh forgot to mention depending on porosity of the tile you may need 2 coats of mn stain stop before grouting, think I did that on the last one

OP
F

Flintstone

I've only done encaustics once and over electric ufh. I just wet the tiles with a sponge and back buttered and tiled as normal as clean as poss then sealed after they were down. They do mark exceptionally easily tho. Sealed them about 3 times

OP
W

WaltWhite

So the tiler doesn't think it's moisture he thinks it's two different batches of tiles. Spoke to the fired earth shop , after speaking to the technical dept earlier in the week from the photos they think it's colour variation that you get from marble tiles, but that all the boxes should have been opened up and mixed up. Therefore preventing dark areas and light areas if that makes sense? Anyway I've asked them to check was there any problems with the batch we bought and asked if a fired earth rep can come out and look at the tiles. Will see what they come up with....

OP
W

WaltWhite

IMG_8858.JPG
IMG_8859.JPG
IMG_8860.JPG
Ok here are some photos, where as suggested by @Lithofin BOB i have used the StainStop on 2 or 3 unlaid sheets. Just half of each sheet and as per @Lithofin BOB 's exact instructions. Although there are some shadows I hope u can see the sheets laid over the tiles floor. Do u think the colouring matches the floor? If so the sealant has darkened the tiles, we were specifically sold this from
Fired Earth

OP
C

Concrete guy

I'm not entirely convinced the problem here is with the tiler. I feel it's a colour expectiation from a natural product that hasn't been explained particularly well.

Another common problem is whoever did the tile display in the Fired Earth Showroom may have done so with a particularly white or clean batch of Carrara mosaic that maybe isn't representative of what is supplied.

I have 30mm Carrara Marble worktops in my kitchen, I had to search high and low to find a nice white slab that I was happy with. Much of the Carrara now being imported into the UK is a dirty grey with the odd splash of white, rather than a crisp white with a splash of grey.

OP
C

Concrete guy

so you don't seal stone before fixing?

For a number of years before I sold tooling I owned a stone import business. We predominantly imported marble and limestone from Portugal and Spain and without exception every crate or box of tiles we ever handled would have been packed at the production factory whilst it was still wet.

This is the main reason why it's not generally sensible to seal any of these products in any way before they are fitted and allowed to dry naturally. As in most cases you're trapping in production moisture on top of moisture being drawn in from whatever https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ is being used.

Also consider that an already moist stone is not going to absorb any form of sealant to a degree that will allow it to perform to it's design standard.

Reply to Is this ok? Natural stone floor not level after tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock