Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is this ok? Natural stone floor not level after tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Welcome to the forum , firstly
We ( lithofin) and standards ( standards state with caution)would not advise Natural stone to be
Impregnated prior to laying as this can trap moisture ,leading to discoloration ,mineral salts trapped ,oxide issues, water staining ,refere to the photos above
I get 5-10 of these a week.
No sealer or impregnator on the market is resistant to acidic damage and will break down with the use of these types of product.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Now having fixed a few stone floors over the years I'd put my 6d worth in.
White Limestone, Terracotta and Encaustics I always seal as I take them out of the crate. Honed stones I work clean ( not as clean as my son apparently) and seal when fully dry 48 hours later.
This particular marble I would have worked clean but sealed before grouting.
Not that anyone listens to old people these days.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I think your right John , if you are familiar with the stones and techniques fine. but, people are getting bitten with so many variants of natural stones these days , example, slate , residues of grout , 25 years ago ,we would just wash over with a diluted hydr ( brick acid) In my book now I have 18 different slates/ https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ stones that can react differently , you can't use acids on them they bloom with oxide with hydocloric ,some react with alkalines , some will highlight ,go white with solvent based sealers ,so water based required,
If you pre seal, some some will produce mineral traces and you can't get the out. floors are being taken up.
I can be a bit negative, all I deal with is problem floors or were sent in to sort them out.Wednesday I had 550 Sqm pre sealed piatra cerana sandstone, all discoloured and is coming out, gutted it was beautifully laid .Information is key, possibly from the supplier, and the knowledge we gain .

andy8758

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I always refer directly to the supplier when fitting natural stone. I treat the stone according to their instructions. However, some suppliers give duff information. e.g. a well known national stone supplier telling a customer to use floor polish on the slate in their bathroom. So I treat the advice with some caution, but generally if they recommend a particular sealer I use it.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

I always refer directly to the supplier when fitting natural stone. I treat the stone according to their instructions. However, some suppliers give duff information. e.g. a well known national stone supplier telling a customer to use floor polish on the slate in their bathroom. So I treat the advice with some caution, but generally if they recommend a particular sealer I use it.

But look at all the issues that occur from suppliers recommendations.
Terracotta has all but disappeared, Black limestone being used in locations unsuitable and builders thinking that this job is easy!

OP
M

MW Smith Ceramics

Now having fixed a few stone floors over the years I'd put my 6d worth in.
White Limestone, Terracotta and Encaustics I always seal as I take them out of the crate. Honed stones I work clean ( not as clean as my son apparently) and seal when fully dry 48 hours later.
This particular marble I would have worked clean but sealed before grouting.
Not that anyone listens to old people these days.
Same as John,

I'll only seal encaustic tiles and terracotta before fixing, anything else I work clean and leave to dry before sealing then I'll polish up and completely seal before grouting then grouting will be my final job after sealant is completely cured that is........

This job looks awful to be honest, the marble looks stained and dirty so I'm guessing moisture, grout and dust has been sealed in......I would condemn that work , very poor and certainly not a professional finish

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum , firstly
We ( lithofin) and standards ( standards state with caution)would not advise Natural stone to be
Impregnated prior to laying as this can trap moisture ,leading to discoloration ,mineral salts trapped ,oxide issues, water staining ,refere to the photos above
I get 5-10 of these a week.
No sealer or impregnator on the market is resistant to acidic damage and will break down with the use of these types of product.

Ha ha.....could you imagine trying to seal stone prior to installation under normal site conditions with joiners, sparks, plumbers amongst other muppets crawling all over them.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

But that's why you have to seal it before laying! All the muppets crawling over them.

OP
M

MW Smith Ceramics

Ha ha.....could you imagine trying to seal stone prior to installation under normal site conditions with joiners, sparks, plumbers amongst other muppets crawling all over them.

If I'm doing a stone floor then I'll put it across to client / builder before I start that no access
Will be granted from when I start until I finish, if that can't be agreed then I walk away

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

No I understood the logistics of your post but don't see that as a valid reason to not prepare the material properly.

OP
J

J Sid

never had a stone job I needed or wanted to seal before fixing, Encaustic, as John said, always and Terracotta, well have only done one in the 25 years, many before that when all the fashion and did it as I used to, lay clean and sealed with linseed oil 3 time different dilution's each time.
I'm with Bob on this one, lay stone unsealed and clean and leave to dry completely before sealing.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
B & POO used to do a polished porcelain that had to be sealed before it was laid....awful tile that was very porous.

Reply to Is this ok? Natural stone floor not level after tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock