Discuss Is this bad trim work? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Benclark88

Hi all,

First time here, and I am after a little bit of advice and some second opinions. We have recently been renovating our very tired '70s bathroom and found a local independent firm that were very well reviewed, and provided lots of examples of their work, to do the job.

For the walls we have gone for white metro tiles with an anthracite (dark grey) grout. Yes, very popular at the moment, and yes, can be quite tricky to get right with the grouting - but we like it, and they offered no protests about taking it on.

I came home from work on Friday and saw they had completed the last wall, done all the grouting and put the trim on. I was not happy, as they had messed up the brick bond pattern on the last wall, so the tiles were misaligned by around 1.5cm - it look terrible. The trim work was also extremely bad - no mitred corners, rough edges, loads of thick grout everywhere - I could have done a better job! On Monday I made them completely re-do that wall to get the tiles right - which they did. Slightly messy grouting in places, but I am hoping that can be cleaned up.

Then yesterday they did the trim again - and I think its still wrong. I have told the builder this, and his attitude seems to be that it is fine, and there is nothing he can do to make it any better. He is partly blaming the type of trim - which we left him to choose as I wasn't sure what was required - and the fact three points come together to form a corner by the windows.
IMG_6056.JPG IMG_6108.JPG IMG_6119.JPG IMG_6122.JPG

I would be surprised if I am being too critical here, as it looks extremely messy, and there are plenty of examples of neater work than this online. Am I being fussy?

Opinions?

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
First time you wipe the tiles you'll probably cut yourself !! If they dont replace it file that sharp corner!!

Reaction score
I find the problem with dark grout is that it takes a lot of careful cleaning, this guy found a way around that!!;)

Reply to Is this bad trim work? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks