Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is this a BAD TILING JOB? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

burger

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
We are currently getting our whole house refurbished. The standard of the work as been very high so far however when it's come to the finish and attention to detail of the tile in the Main and EnSuite bathroom, well, I think, even having never ever tiled before, after watching a handful of YouTube tutorial videos I could probably do better lol! It just looks like time hasnt been taken to give elements a good finish.

Main Bathroom has been grouted and grout is highlighting the roughly cut tiles. Worried that the same will happen with ensuite.

Is this considered a good job?
Would REALLY appreciate some feedback and opinions from tilers to give me more ammunition to go back to Building Contractor with.

IMAGES BELOW ....

Main 001
Chfe3gJ.jpg

At the top of the tiled area slithers of tiles have been added to take up the space left before the metal edging. When this was realised shouldn't tiler have set the whole tile to the top and the slither down at the floor. It's also really scrappily cut.

Main 002
igG3R5y.jpg

Metal edging at corner has razor sharp edges with a small sharp burr too.

Main 003
iSP73tJ.jpg

Around the shower and bath niches the cut of the tiles against the metal edge is very ragged, especially exaggerated by the contrasting grout. Metal edging not aligning either - something I highlighted with billy a while back but he assured me the grouting would fix.

Spacing
The spacing of the wood effect tiles is not consistent between the floor and wall. The floor has a lot less than the wall. We had hoped the black grout would be a feature of this tile but it is not noticeable on the floor.

EN 001
spjrxQT.jpg

EN 002
jPhcNFa.jpg

Cutting of tiles is really ragged around the edges of the niches.

EN 003
MYYgHtA.jpg

Tile selected for top of niche has off-vertical angle cut on right hand side which will result in a wide area of grout needed here which will stand out. Angled gap inbetween metal edging too.

EN 004
vdvNJyk.jpg

The central tile thats been cut or selected for the centre of the niche has 1/4 inch gaps either side.

Strangely in stark contrast some tiles we have elsewhere in the house have a razor sharp cut rather than a ragged edge. Would this be down to the fact it was done by someone else (with a sharp tool?!) or the tile type?

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Yes, it’s bad!

OP
B

burger

TF
Reaction score
There was a little hacksaw like this left beside his tile gear which I assumed he'd been using to cut tiles. I ran my finger down the blade to see how blunt it was .. and yup it was!

F7839925-01.jpg

@Localtiler
I see it now, the mistake too is the extra metal spacer that's had to have been added to make everything fit. Besides the rough edges an uneven spacing.

O

On one

Yes.
Picture 2......he has started with a full Tile hence the extra horizontal piece of trim.
Then again if he had put a cut in......it would have looked like some of your other raggy cuts.
@Localtiler not necessarily an inexperienced tiler, I have seen many an experienced tiler produce work like this.......I kid you not!

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It’s terrible. Also can I why in picture 1 pink board (fire) has been used but next to it is mr or acoustic board (can’t see from pic ) is it what they had left over or is there a reason

G

GoneGuy

The tiler in question either hasn’t got the appropriate tools or he does not have any pride in his work, the ragged edge of tiles could be rubbed down with a diamond pad. Also with the trim work maybe he needs a new mitre block.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The tiler in question either hasn’t got the appropriate tools or he does not have any pride in his work, the ragged edge of tiles could be rubbed down with a diamond pad. Also with the trim work maybe he needs a new mitre block.

I agree. Depending on tile. No need to use a grinder or wet saw. Dry cut and it would look lovely

OP
B

burger

TF
Reaction score
It’s terrible. Also can I why in picture 1 pink board (fire) has been used but next to it is mr or acoustic board (can’t see from pic ) is it what they had left over or is there a reason
Probably just what was left over. We are covering this entire piece of wall with a big mirror anyway, it's not being tiled or painted.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I always go to score and snap on finished edges if possible and scribe in at back with a grinder (covered with silicone etc )

What tiles were they OP?

OP
B

burger

TF
Reaction score
I always go to score and snap on finished edges if possible and scribe in at back with a grinder (covered with silicone etc )

What tiles were they OP?

Do you mean Porcelain or Ceramic?
Or just in general what tiles they are/where they were from?

I do know that the Wood Effect floor tile is from B&Q - I believe it is this one - so a Porcelain tile.

Are you asking as this might have an influence on how well the tiles could be finished? i.e. cheap tiles will chip easily like this when cutting?

Reply to Is this a BAD TILING JOB? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock