Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is this a bad tiling job or not? in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

ChrisC

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello,

We are in the process of having the ground floor tiled and I am not very happy with what I am seeing at the moment.

The tiler agreed to do a herringbone pattern for us that extends along all of the ground floor, but on some instances it seems that there are odd, big gaps left between tiles and wall.

The problem is that when I raise my concerns with the tiler I get back the usual response that once the grout and silicon is applied to the edge the gap will not be noticeable and it will all be fine.

I can’t help feeling that this is not good work and I personally expected the pattern to be perfect and symmetrical with not such odd gaps between tile and wall.

Am I unreasonable? What do you think?

pic_0.jpg pic_2.jpg pic_3.jpg pic_4.jpg pic_5.jpg

OP
C

ChrisC

TF
Reaction score
The grout and silicone argument was with regard to the fourth picture<re-attached>.
I expect that he will cut some triangle shaped pieces to plug the big gaps, but he will probably leave gaps like the ones on the attached picture.

pic_4.jpg

W

Waluigi

Pretty poor cutting by the look of it. Definitely looks a bit rough round the architrave, as mentioned it would be better to cut the architrave down and slide a tile under it.

You mentioned you are having the ground floor tiled? That’s a lot of walls to tile against and work out. Sometimes a tile layout might have a compromise here and there so it’s sometimes quite difficult judging the whole job on a few pictures.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
It must have taken longer to cut those tiles around the architrave than it would to cut the architrave out.

Definately not the worst I have seen but looks like a setting out fail has ended up with the small cuts.

OP
C

ChrisC

TF
Reaction score
Yesterday my wife pointed out that it looks like the pattern is actually visibly not straight in the living room area.

After paying attention to the distance from the centre of the room I think that one can see how the distance is uneven on the left wall, and this is reflected to the uneven gaps between tiles and wall on the right wall of the living room.

At this point I can’t see how this can be salvaged.

Also, I don't get why he is using two tiles on occasions in order to level up the surface, I thought that the right thing to do is to use screed, or something other than tiles, is using two tiles safe? Is there a risk of the floor getting damaged?

In my view this needs redoing, what do you think? Is there a way of fixing this? Or is everything fine and no redoing is needed?

How much do you think it will cost to redo the living room area, it has electric underfloor heating installed... and the area is approximately 20sqm.

hall_0.jpg hall_1.jpg hall_2.jpg livingroom_0.jpg livingroom_1.jpg livingroom_2.jpg livingroom_3.jpg livingroom_4.jpg livingroom_5.jpg livingroom_6.jpg livingroom_7.jpg livingroom_8.jpg livingroom_9.jpg livingroom_10.jpg

Nic_P74

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hello,

We are in the process of having the ground floor tiled and I am not very happy with what I am seeing at the moment.

The tiler agreed to do a herringbone pattern for us that extends along all of the ground floor, but on some instances it seems that there are odd, big gaps left between tiles and wall.

The problem is that when I raise my concerns with the tiler I get back the usual response that once the grout and silicon is applied to the edge the gap will not be noticeable and it will all be fine.

I can’t help feeling that this is not good work and I personally expected the pattern to be perfect and symmetrical with not such odd gaps between tile and wall.

Am I unreasonable? What do you think?

View attachment 103111 View attachment 103112 View attachment 103113 View attachment 103114 View attachment 103115
As said, setting out for herringbone is not easy and there are usually compromises somewhere. Do you have a picture of the whole or larger area and maybe a plan view?

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I retract my opinion based on those new photos!

Don’t want to be packing tiles up like that.

Did he not use self levelling compound over the heating cables?

Nic_P74

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hmm, posting from my phone and not refreshed so had not seen your post Chris.
Your walls are in and out a bit and there are drop backs so will be compromise on set out. But... that is poor and as for packing out on another tile! There’s no excuse for that. Even Screwfix do a rapid repair mortar that is easy and quick to use for building up localised area.
And a levelling compound over the whole area would have given you a better job and your “tiler” a much easier fix.

Reply to Is this a bad tiling job or not? in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock